Congrats to Mike Varacins

37 CREW

Congrats to Mike Varacins

Post by 37 CREW »

Posted in the Milwaukee Journal,

It's an honor
Michael Varacins, the runaway Formula Vee champ at last weekend's SCCA Runoffs and a resident of Burlington, has been named the winner of the Mark Donohue Award.

The honor is bestowed annually by the Road Racing Drivers Club to recognize personal spirit as well as performance, and is named for the late 1960s and '70s-era champion known for both.

Congratulations both Mike and Al on a great season, Bill
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Congrats to Mike Varacins

Post by FV80 »

Here, Here, Mike! A TOAST to ya'!
Decimating the FV field is NOT a small task - you done it well.

All you guys in the back take heart. Mike and I both started there. I remember Mike's first trip to the Runoffs - gridded WELL behind me. This year, I couldn't even see his car (in front of me) with BINOCULARS!!!
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

You're right Steve- I remember those days. I figured it was a huge achievment when I could finally run in the same pack as you guys on a consistent basis. I used to get so frustrated at times wondering what you guys were doing to go so fast. All I can say is to get to where we are today took a lot of sacrifices. Just ask my girlfriend or my dad's - they will be the first to tell you about all of the things we should have been doing instead of working on making the car go faster!

I was begining to think that we just weren't lucky enough to win the big one after what happened the past few years in Topeka. All of the luck was saved up for this one, I guess. Perhaps being so close a few times made us over-compensate on the effort a bit. But it was worth it all!

I feel honored now to be included on the same list of winners that I always saw when I started racing, including you Steve. I grew up hearing stories about how amazing you were at Road Atlanta, and I watched Bill Noble win the first time I ever witnessed a runoffs. I remember standing on the hill overlooking the esses at Mid-Ohio, with all the people around, and everyone was excited watching the FV race. I'll never forget it...and at the time I remember thinking that will be me someday. This year Bill came up to me and shook my hand on the podium, and I thought that was simply awsome.

Thanks again for all of the kind words.

Here's to another safe and fast season for everyone in 2010!

Michael Varacins
brian

Post by brian »

The Mark Donahue award is so fitting. Anyone who has read "the Unfair Advantge" knows the sacrifice and effort it takes to reach for perfection. Mark and Michael both share the kinds engineering and driving skills to make them exceptional. Congrats
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Congrats on a job well done! I don't think anyone is more deserving than Mike and the Mark Donahue award is one of the most prestigous awards anyone can get and to see it go to a vee driver is really great. It does show that not only are we watching what goes on in our little group but so is everyone else.

Great job!!!

Ed