Front Wheel Bearing

DanRemmers

Front Wheel Bearing

Post by DanRemmers »

Ok, I need to replace an outer front wheel bearing, roller taper style. I'm pretty sure I can get a new one tomorrow from Olympic Auto Parts (their online catalog says it's in stock).

Can I remove the race easily myself? I have no press, I would just try a piece of steel and a hammer.

If it requires a press, does anyone know a shop in the DC area that can do it tomorrow? I don't think I'd trust my local gas-station garage to do it right, or have the right tools, or do it on a Saturday without charging too much.
problemchild

Re: Front Wheel Bearing

Post by problemchild »

All you need is a hammer and a punch (drift). Some blocks of wood might help and a large socket (just less than the OD of the race) would be useful for reinstallation, but that hammer and punch will do the job.

When punching out the race, move around the perimeter and find the relieved area where the punch will get a good bite. Once it is moving, you can get the punch in all around the perimeter.

It should be a straight forward job. Good luck!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

Never mind. I got the old race out with just a screwdriver and hammer. Now I just have to get a new bearing tomorrow.

And I have a leftover piece of 2" OD roll bar tubing that is just the right size to drive in the new race. The race OD is 2.050"

So that leads to my next question...

The bearing got trashed because water got into it. (I must park the old girl outside in the elements.)
So do I need a new hub cap? (Or dust cap, or whatever it's called) The old one seems to fit well. It needs a few mallet whacks to reinstall.

Or does water get in somewhere else? (brake adjust hole)
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Dan, If the bearings are packed with grease water isn't going to effect anything. The only thing that keeps the water out is the seal on the inside on the axle and the grease cap on the outside. The hub cap that was orginally designed for the left wheel has a small square hole in it. This can be plugged with silicone if you have one. In any case lots of wheel grease at the grease seal and under the hub cap will keep the water out.
FVartist

Post by FVartist »

You can use the old race to install the new one, just grind the outside edge until it slide in and out easily, then invert and use the narrowed edge against the new race. As for the rust, since you leave it out in the element, the most probable cause is condensation. Just pack the bearings as much as possible before storing and that should help. Remember to clean and repack before using. A set of seal and race installers are not too expensive if you chose to go that route.
Left Coast Formula Car Board
http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi?
JimR

Post by JimR »

Here is another trick. Keep the old race as it can be used to tap in a rear axle seal. As I recall it fits perfectly.