Car Transport

fvkartguy

Car Transport

Post by fvkartguy »

Looking at buying a car and need recommendations for freight companies.
Thanks!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
vreihen

Re: Car Transport

Post by vreihen »

I've never used them, but uShip is supposedly where the small, independent hot-shotters bid on vehicle shipments:

http://www.uship.com/

My suggestion is to check on the bidders' insurance coverage, just to make sure that they are legal.....
Doug Carter

Post by Doug Carter »

I have been researching them for the last week for my DB1 that someone inquired about. A 12 hour transport delivery has averaged about $1000, going as much as $1300 from Intercity (http://www.intercitylines.com). Intercity is experienced with complicated race car delivery, so it was one of the first places I checked.

I accidentally filled out a quote form the other day for a general brokerage firm that managed different companies and their delivery options. Don't do that, by the way. 13 phone calls and over 30 e-mails later, nothing has been solved. The general "sedan" transport ranged from $450 to $850, until I explained that the car was an open wheel, open cockpit roller (no engine, and you can't drive it onto the hauler), it has 2" of ground clearance, weighs about 800 pounds, and will include 3 boxes of parts and a set of wheels. Essentially, it will require special handling and tie-downs, and not an open hauler. The prices then all doubled for the specific needs. Generally, it's going to be about $1000 to get the car where I need it to go.

A few things I learned...

- Don't pay up front
- Make sure they are bonded/insured
- Make sure they understand the type of car they will be transporting—a photo helps
- Make sure they include the fuel surcharges and other fees into the final quote

Don't be afraid to post notes in various motorsport forums looking for empty or deadheaded trailers going from one location to another. If I could have found some space in a trailer heading back to Oklahoma from the RunOffs, it would have saved me a lot of work, time and money, and might have helped sell my car.

doug
rgr1racing

Post by rgr1racing »

It would also help to post on this forum where the origination and destination of the trip will be....you never know when someone reading this board knows someone who has a cousin who dated a girl whose father had a college roomie that is now in the shipping business!
rgr1racing
Nettie WV 26681
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

Well.. it's going from Washington to Texas... could be worse!
let me know if you or anyone you know is making a trip even in the same direction!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net