CHANGE IN RAIN LIGHT REQUIREMENTS FOR FV 1/1/24

FV80
Site Admin

CHANGE IN RAIN LIGHT REQUIREMENTS FOR FV 1/1/24

Post by FV80 »

Just to let everyone know, SCCA has 'unilaterally' decided to REQUIRE a new ~$200 FIA Certified rain light on our cars for next year and beyond. I have created a POLL about this over on ApexSpeed.com if you wish to place a 'vote' about it.
https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showth ... t-for-2024

The new rule is included in the July 2023 GCR and reads as follows...

9. Cars and Equipment

9.3.32. LIGHTS
A. BRAKE LIGHTS
All non-Formula cars shall have two operating red brake lights.
B. RAIN LIGHTS
All cars shall be equipped with rain light(s) clearly visible from the rear. The rain light(s) shall be turned on
when directed to by the Race Director or Chief Steward.
1. Non-Formula and Sports Racing cars shall utilize the original equipment red tail lights or the rain
light described in 9.3.32.B.2 or both.
2. (Effective 1/1/2024) A red taillight meeting FIA Standard 8874-2019, Technical List No. 76, is
required on all Formula (open wheel) and Sports Racing cars This light shall be mounted approxi-
mately on the centerline of the car. Light assemblies are considered one light for the purposes of
this rule, irrespective of the number of individual lamps the assembly may contain.
3. Original equipment tail light assemblies may be used. Light assemblies may perform both rain and
brake light functions provided they have two distinct illumination levels. Lights that function as
strobe lights are not permitted except in Formula and Sports Racer classes. The taillight may strobe
when directed to be used as a rain light.

The CRB requested comments (although I'm not sure why.. just to say they 'asked', I guess) a couple months ago - looks like they got about 16 or 17 responses AGAINST, but they don't publish the data so not really sure.
Anyway.. be fair warned. The new rule is in the Cars & Equipment section .. NOT in the FV rules section - but next year you are required to have one on your car.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
jackofspeed

Re: CHANGE IN RAIN LIGHT REQUIREMENTS FOR FV 1/1/24

Post by jackofspeed »