Cleaning engine case

bobc

Cleaning engine case

Post by bobc »

What is the best way to get a case really clean. I understand that you can not hot tank them. Is this correct?
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning engine case

Post by FV80 »

I can't think of a reason why you should NOT hot tank a case, though it might be better to have both halves bolted together when you do. I've never seen a hot tank that was anywhere near as hot as a VW engine runs.

That said, in a racing engine, they don't generally get "dirty" enough to go through that process. A good degreasing spray (engine cleaner) and brushing with some warm soapy water should do nicely. Follow that with a thorough flushing of the oil galley's using mineral spirits or brake clean or similar. Then blow it clean and dry with air pressure and you should be good to go I would think.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
BLS

Post by BLS »

I'm not sure what is in a "hot tank" these days. When I was a bit younger, a hot tank had chemicals that would dissolve aluminium or magnesium. I'm sure the chemicals are different now.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

If you want to clean the Mag/Al case back to a almost pure white, mix muriatic acid with about 5 parts water.. Put it in a disposable spray bottle. Wear safety glasses and old clothes. Clean the case from dirt, oil etc with degreaser. Then spray with the muriatic acid and rinse with water. (Do this OUTSIDE.) You can make it look like new in a few minutes. (you can get muriatic acid at most hardware or swimming pool supply stores. Very cheap in 1 gallon containers. Use the rest to clean the garage floor.)