Fiberglass bodywork

tiagosantos

Fiberglass bodywork

Post by tiagosantos »

Howdy fellas.. I found someone that has molds for the bodywork on my car and has very generously offered to let me use them, as the fiberglass on my car is not in the best condition anymore. While my bodywork is certainly fixable, I'm trying to work out how much I'd spend on materials for a homemade new body kit. Then I'd have a spare body and I'd learn some useful skills in the process, which is what this is all about anyway!

Is there a general rule of thumb for what kind of cloth and how many layers you'd use? Looking at fiberglass supply websites is a bit overwhelming, there are tons of different weights and weaves. I'm not particularly worried about weight, by the way, I'd rather have stronger bodywork that won't crack or deform as easily - within reason of course!

The car is a Tsunami, by the way, very similar (ahem..) to a Caracal D.
problemchild

Re: Fiberglass bodywork

Post by problemchild »

The best advice anyone could give you is STOP!
Doing fibreglass is just nasty work. Those that like it are their own breed and have learned to do it effectively and efficiently after years of sucking fumes and taking cold showers (to wash off the glass particles). Most, who do it at their homes, would also be single.

I would work some OT, or find another PT job, to fund the purchase of panels made by someone else. Cut lawns, pump out outhouses, dig ditches, haul manure .... all are likely more pleasant.

BTW .... There is a reason the molds are available yet no one has attempted to make new bodywork. That body has been heavy for a long time :lol:
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Hehe.. Thinking about it, all the guys I know that did their own bodywork ARE single.

Looks like I'll be leaving this for another time. I'll scratch the fiberglass itch (ah!) by making some smaller stuff as a learning experience and move on.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Hi Tiago,

I have done quite a bit of bodywork much to my wife's dismay (but I'm not single!) including making molds and making parts from molds. I learned some of it from an instructional DVD but I learned most of it from trial and error. I documented some of the stuff that I have done with my new car in my blog which you can find here: http://rayphillips.blogspot.com. Making pieces from molds isn't that hard but it is time consuming and nasty and I would recommend that you experiment with the materials first so that you have a good idea of the thickness/weight of the end product. You are going to need to buy a gallon of resin (Epoxy resin doesn't smell nearly as bad as Polyster or Vinyl Ester resins but it is more expensive), cloth/matt, lots of cheap brushes, mixing containers, mold release wax, good respiratory equipment, plastic wedges, rollers, etc. I highly recommend an instructional DVD and I think I paid $100 for that alone. Here is where I buy my products:
http://www.uscomposites.com/

Good luck!

Ray