Is there a such thing as to fast?

fvracer27

Is there a such thing as to fast?

Post by fvracer27 »

I think there may be my eyes are still messed up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMPCZ-uv4B8&sns=em
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
SR Racing

Re: Is there a such thing as to fast?

Post by SR Racing »

Lap times of about 2.56 secs. :) Unbelievable.
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

The equivilant speed/scale is something like 800 mph I read somewhere
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

What amazed me was that the "drivers" actually seemed to know what was going on. I just saw these blurs and had no idea what car was on what track.

If we assumed the track was about .7 miles scale, 800+ mph would be about right.
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

SR Racing wrote:What amazed me was that the "drivers" actually seemed to know what was going on.
I noticed that too and that impressed me more than the car speed. Maybe it's easier in person - easier being a relative thing.
Hal

Post by Hal »

Video playback will hugely distort what you are seeing, would certainly be easier to follow in real time but still very impressive. I had an HO slot car track a long time ago, was about 25 feet long and I had hoped up Ferrari F1 car, seems to me when I could keep in on the track I could do a lap in about two and a half seconds but had to pay a lot of attention in a very short time!

Hal

FV 88 Citation
FV 88 D-13
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

I have been racing a slower version for over 30 years - really helps with those FV reflexes.

We have an 80'ft oval that we lap in less than 2 seconds with $50.oo cars.

If you want to see even faster (scale speed) cars, do a search on HO slot cars....

ChrisZ
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

SR Racing wrote:What amazed me was that the "drivers" actually seemed to know what was going on. I just saw these blurs and had no idea what car was on what track.

If we assumed the track was about .7 miles scale, 800+ mph would be about right.
The concentration is so intense, if you are racing with someone and one of you falls off, you sometimes "drive" the car for a few laps even though it is on the floor. We usually go 3 2 1 go, - they just say go - you better know where your car is or else it is wall time.

ChrisZ
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBXJViw ... ata_player

This was 1994!

And if you were a slot racer in the 60's (and read Car and Driver) you should recognize one of the names.

ChrisZ
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Ok. Those guys should be forced to add 25lbs of ballast and a hard spec tire. :)
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

SR Racing wrote:Ok. Those guys should be forced to add 25lbs of ballast and a hard spec tire. :)
Jim,

Stop trying to push your fst agenda. :-)
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

I wounder how my heat cycles they get out of the tires? :mrgreen:
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

My dad and mom run what is arguably the most successful slot car raceway in the US.

Open since 1966 and I'm very proud of them.

See the site link below.

Ricky del
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Rickydel wrote:My dad and mom run what is arguably the most successful slot car raceway in the US.

See the site link below.

Ricky del
Not only that but both drove FV if I remember right. I raced Pro HO in the 70's and raced there. My last job was in elevators and D&D is right around the corner from the new place. Problem is I am now in Chicago but my cars are in CT.

I used to race the 4 hour enduro at Stamford when it was open and there were several othe SCCA drivers there. We put a small track in the local hobby shop in Torrington and raced every week - that ended my traveling to races. Maybe next winter when I am back in CT.

You should break out the old scrapbook.

ChrisZ
Last edited by CitationFV21 on January 17th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Rickydel wrote:My dad and mom run what is arguably the most successful slot car raceway in the US.
You should be. It looks impressive. (Plus, on their video, I could actually see the cars. :)
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

I raced HO cars for about 20 years in the winter with the guys from the local sports car club in HBG. There were four teams with three drivers and the track had four lanes. they ran 100 lap races for a total of 1000 laps. As the cars got faster they ran like those cars do and at the track my brother had which was around 80 long we were doing a lap in under 2 seconds. A car cost around $150 to build and if runing to close to the track would overheat and come to a stop in a cloud of smoke. It was fun but getting expensive for the team leader who usually built the cars and paid for them. Like Chris said if you went of you sometimes didn't know it because you were following the car you were racing with.

Ed
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

Yes Chris,

Both my parents raced FVs.
Home track: Lime Rock Park
Mom's fave: The Glen
She ran the first "officially timed" lap on the then new boot course.
Dad's fave: Bridgehampton
First car: Auto D modified by Roger Barr.
Other two cars: Zink Z5 (C4)

Scrapbooks are being looked for. The Slot car store, Elmsford Raceway, was in a different location a few years ago, and there was a flood. Many things were thrown away.
Breaks my heart to think we may have lost some racing memorabilia.

Stamford Raceway was theirs too. After it became successful, landlord wanted triple the rent.