Towing with a Vanagon?

fvracer27

Towing with a Vanagon?

Post by fvracer27 »

Anyone tow a small enclosed trailer 6x12 with a Vanagon?

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
caracal76

Re: Towing with a Vanagon?

Post by caracal76 »

I used to tow my Vee with a 76 VW Westfalia camper:
[ external image ]

It had the air-cooled 2-liter type IV engine like the early Vanagons. It wasn't quick (the bus, not the car), but it always made it if I took it easy on the hills. So it can be done, and more so if you have a Vanagon with a Wasserboxer. Mind, this was a pretty bare-bones setup without a lot of tools or spares. Now I'm in an E-350 cargo van towing a 24-footer to carry all the crap!
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

There's a somewhat local guy that also tows his open trailer with a bus, but I'm not sure I would trust it with an enclosed trailer.. I guess depending on how much you load it up, it could work! :) Take some pictures when you do it!
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

I read an article on towing with VW vanagons ages ago,there was a lot of input from guys who had done it and overall it wasnt recommended,a basic open trailer maybe with a struggle,but an enclosed one with the car ,tools etc, I wouldnt try it.I saw a local VW Van for sale and thought about it,but after reading the article I didnt buy it,I liked the idea of towing your VW with a VW. :lol:
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

I always wanted a split window bus but I really have no use for one. I have a customer that has a 89 or 90 Vanagon with a euro Audi engine conversion makes a little over 200hp and he tows small utility type trailer and he loves it. I just wounder how they are with the engine in the back and towing a medium weight trailer. Seem like the front wheel would lift and do wheelies easy ( that could be fun! also scary! ).

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Veefan wrote:[ external image ]
If I could find a single cab that was not a rusty can and was not 20k I would love to have one but it looks like to much work to get a vee up on the back not to mention where do you put gear.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
BLS

Post by BLS »

IIRC, there was an official VW picture with a double cab and FV. Seems like there were two trucks and cars in the pic.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

Veefan wrote:[ external image ]
We have a guy locally who bought one of those specifically to haul his Vee! It is a restoration project for him, so he hasn't actually had the Vee loaded up on it yet.....
fv195

Post by fv195 »

my concern would be stopping it, wireing a brake controller in a vanagon would be interesting, but I'm sure it can be done. my brother towed many a motorcycles behind a 84 westy, stock motor, with the upgraded one, should be no problem, easy on hills
lauryfv

Post by lauryfv »

One advantage of towing with the older models is the cheap cruise control. Just place a brick on the floor mounted gas pedal.
jrv

Post by jrv »

I have towed my Vee with a '93 Eurovan for 6 years. The Van is the 2.5 L water cooled front wheel drive. The Trailer is an open IRD. I carry some 1,200 # of gear in the Van. The Vee and trailer are about 1,200+ # combined. I looked up the specs and apparently the Eurovan can tow 4,400 # and have 1,800 # in it. I wouldn't press my luck with such a load.

We do get around 17mpg towing and I can easily go 80 mph on flat ground. The trailer is very stable. I towed with a Rabbit in the '70s with the same trailer and got 27 mpg towing. Eurovans are a bit "special." It will put you on a constant learning curve, and is a "Character Builder" as well. Kind of like having a teenager.

Pete Lovely carried his Lotus 49 in '69 and '70 through Europe with an air cooled VW pick up. He just built an overhang for the length he needed. Nelson Piquet used a van or pickup when he ran Super Vee. Once he had to take the racing motor out, on the road, and put it in the van to make it to an event. He then put the engine back in the race car, raced (1st place) and put the engine back in the tow vehicle to get home.

Jim Vaseff