Take an hour and watch this

qposner

Take an hour and watch this

Post by qposner »

Thankfully things have come a long way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9-QrRl1Uk
VDF1

Re: Take an hour and watch this

Post by VDF1 »

Sort of makes Chapman seem a bit like a creep. His desire to win was stronger than any feelings he had concerning the humanity of his drivers.

But oh how I loved those cars of his when I was in college in the 60s. When I bought my first FV in 1970 it was a Autodynamics that the previous owner had modified the body, in particular the nose, to look a lot like an early Lotus.

And, of course, all those young "immortal" men he hired also wanted to win. How sad the graveyards had to gather so many before significant safety changes were made.
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

What a hatchet job.

I've driven both the Nurburgring and Monaco, in addition to raced at Roebling, the real Road Atlanta, and other southeast tracks. While I admire Sir Jackie Stewart and his driving talent, he proclaimed Roebling as the most dangerous track he'd ever driven. As such, I've lost respect for his proclamations.

ALL! racing cars in the '60's and '70's were more dangerous than today. Look at Indy cars and NASCAR during these times. Speed had progressed faster than safety. Our Vees were developed during those times, as well as Formula Ford. I crewed on an early Ford, a Merlyn (Merlin?). What a POS. Took my drivers school under Danny Sullivan/Bruce McInnes in a Crossley, one of the better Fords. In retrospect, those things were dangerous too. Ironically, Chapman and his shop were building Formula Fords also..what did they call the Lotus 440.. the flexiflyer because it flexed so much?

In ANY case, this 59 minute film is nothing but an absolute crock of crap. The cars were dangerous, the tracks were stunning but dangerous, safety measures were primitive, even medical procedures were relatively poor. Colin chapman wasn't the demon portrayed..Ferrari killed his share of drivers also.

Disgusting film..don't waste your time.
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

billinstuart wrote:What a hatchet job.

I've driven both the Nurburgring and Monaco, in addition to raced at Roebling, the real Road Atlanta, and other southeast tracks. While I admire Sir Jackie Stewart and his driving talent, he proclaimed Roebling as the most dangerous track he'd ever driven. As such, I've lost respect for his proclamations.

ALL! racing cars in the '60's and '70's were more dangerous than today. Look at Indy cars and NASCAR during these times. Speed had progressed faster than safety. Our Vees were developed during those times, as well as Formula Ford. I crewed on an early Ford, a Merlyn (Merlin?). What a POS. Took my drivers school under Danny Sullivan/Bruce McInnes in a Crossley, one of the better Fords. In retrospect, those things were dangerous too. Ironically, Chapman and his shop were building Formula Fords also..what did they call the Lotus 440.. the flexiflyer because it flexed so much?

In ANY case, this 59 minute film is nothing but an absolute crock of crap. The cars were dangerous, the tracks were stunning but dangerous, safety measures were primitive, even medical procedures were relatively poor. Colin chapman wasn't the demon portrayed..Ferrari killed his share of drivers also.

Disgusting film..don't waste your time.
Bill,

What year did you take your school? I was a Skippy Mechanic when Danny was an Instructor.

Now some comments:

1. Crossle
2. Lola made the 440, not Lotus. and it was in the late 70's.
3. "In ANY case, this 59 minute film is nothing but an absolute crock of crap." As someone whose racing career was shaped by this time, it was very factual. Week after week, my heros were being killed. It was dangerous in the 50's, but technology was 1 step in front of safety in the 60's and 70's. Not just in F1 but in Indycar, CanAm and Nascar. Something had to change to keep it from staying a niche sport. Today, the danger has been so reduced, that we don't expect anyone to even get hurt, much less killed. That is sad, as the danger is still there, just more random. Then it was predictable.

As much as I will complain about having to buy a Hans device next year, I came close to loosing my life in a crash at Lime Rock a few years ago. A head on crash into a tire wall could have been fatal a few years prior, as it was for Tom Stewart, when it was just a dirt bank. Kanaan's crash at Baltimore was not much different than Rindt's, but Tony walked away. But what would we have been saying if that course truck was a little slower in getting into position......would we have lost Graham Rahal? Everyone should watch this just to remind us we are not playing checkers...

ChrisZ
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

1977(?) at Roebling. Sullivan had yet to gain fame. McInnes, Carl Lane-Lopez...gotta find my certificate.

Yer right about the Fords..been a couple years. Ford fields were huge then. It was Lola 440.

No argument about safety, or lack of it, in the '60's and 70's. Just don't vilify Chapman..NONE of the stuff was safe then. Wanna see a reminder? Watch Grand Prix or LeMans. At least they aren't grossly tainted in an attempt to damage someones reputation. It took WAY too many deaths and disfigurements from fire to start the process of both in car safety AND racetrack safety. Now, deaths are rare, and even serious injuries are uncommon. I'll bet more drivers are injured driving TO the track than are injured in a racing event.

Safety at roebling? Used to be worse. The pits were on the front straight. There was a terrible Formula Atlantic shunt, guy backed into the Armco and wheels went into the pit and grid. I widened the track, built the first pit wall there. Later Armco was extended almost to turn (9)?, and pit entrance was changed. Why Sir Jackie proclaimed it the worst remains a mystery.
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Bill, I took my school in 1976 at Thompson, and raced for the next 3.

Jackie would have loved Thompson. The road course was next to a golf course and was used as the paddock for the stock cars. It was not unusual during schools and lapping to come flat out over the crest in the back and find a garbage truck or golf cart on the track. There was virtually no fence between the course and the main road. Yet only a few years before they had a FB (in those days like Atlantic) pro race there!

The fact is that racing safety does not always mean changing everything, just a few things can make a big difference.

It still amazes me that many racing organizations have people in power who have never sat in a race car seat....

ChrisZ