F1200/Vee makes national paper

hojo

F1200/Vee makes national paper

Post by hojo »

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr ... le2039867/

Nice article on Formula Vee in Canada, focusing on costs and developing young driving talent

oh and yes and if mosport had doubled the length of the back straight and reversed it so it was downhill and had a 20mph tail wind with a mack truck to draft, 200KPH is possible
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
tiagosantos

Re: F1200/Vee makes national paper

Post by tiagosantos »

Several other mistakes in the article, but cool nonetheless :) I race with Gayle and Pam every month too!
hojo

Post by hojo »

any PR is good PR, what we know vs the general public is like picking at mushrooms in your pizza. other series/formula would love to have that kind of exposure in any country

Imagine having that in say USA today for comparison sake. most stuff that hits the news these days is anti-regional racing like citizens opposing tracks or tracks closing for development, street racing etc.

in other news Mosport was bought by a Canadian group incl Ron Fellows, this means that talk of the track ever getting sold up to developers (once rumored many years ago) will most likely not happen. plans for facility improvement as well. Panoz saved the track when he bought it, but it has deteriorated with lack of funding in recent years, it needs new facilities for the richie rich car clubs.
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Oh most definitely, I was surprised to see the article but happy it came out :)

Good to hear about Mosport.. It's on my to-do list, love to drive it on the simulators hehe.
kkapelke4

Post by kkapelke4 »

That's fantastic that we get that kind of publicity!!!!!!

Although I am getting a little restless and irritated when a select few always say that all the cars are equal and it is down to the driver!!!

This is my second year in Formula 1200, I have been been racing for 19 years total in some form of motorsport, mostly karts. One thing I can say is that no one is equal.

When two cars are going down the straight side by side and one passes the other like they are standing still and than puts 5-6 car lengths on them by the end of the straight away thats gotta be one hell of a driver!!!

Back when I was karting we were fairly sucessfull throughout the years and we would also pass people like they were standing still sometimes, but one thing i wouldn't do would be to stand there after the fact and say that was driving. It was my kart!!!! Granted to win, you have to be smooth but it takes more than that!!!

Sorry for the negativity and off topic post but it's kinda related. Had to get that off my chest.

Thanks
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Of course it's a marketing thing for the class, the cars are not usually that equal, especially in a "regional" type series. But with a big enough group, FV is probably the closest matched open wheel group out there.. It's almost funny looking at time sheets for most national SCCA races and checking the lap time gaps in most other open wheel classes!

I wish the cars were closer, but unfortunately, until you get to a certain level where everyone has similarly deep pockets and resources to max out their car's performance within the set of rules that we have, there will always be differences. We have so many different chassis and body shapes that it's impossible that every car will get to the same speed on a big enough straight. Even with the same engine package, you'll probably have a decent range of speeds at the end of a big straight considering some cars are "slippier" than others. And of course, none of this takes into account the quality of prep that goes into each car.. I know my car would probably be a second faster if I knew what the hell I was doing between races :)
kkapelke4

Post by kkapelke4 »

Thanks for your honesty! I think you hit the nail right on the head!!!
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

I would be a lot faster if i knew what I was doing off the track and on the track :mrgreen: but I love every minute of it..unfortunatly its my nerve mostly,but thats an age thing,but at least Im at the back driving and not just watching and wishing,it looks easy...but even at this level it isnt,thats why I admire F1 drivers...especially watching them around Monaco,pretty unbelievable.
hojo

Post by hojo »

hey kevin, i raced at WRKC against you numerous times and you whipped my butt,

having raced f1200 for 4 seasons i can say that (my old car is run by the Bonaldo's now) we came to F1200 because of its equality and simplicity of the equipment. having raced at the front of the grid with that car against those running at the front currently i can say that they don't have anything extra special in their "lumps" to give them a super advantage.

however what they are really good at is making sure the car is prepped and in peak condition. and by peak condition i mean they know what the car needs to go quick or stay quick. if the motor and car alignment are off just a little your're gonna lose a bucket load of time. then it comes down to setup and adjustment at the track, they know what minor changes to make to help them run the times they do. these cars are a little funny they dont respond to traditional car setup ideology very well. and finally the draft. proper drafting rhythym and technique and execution between 2 or 3 drivers makes lap time disappear at mosport. much like nascar at daytona single car quali = 186 MPH. Two car draft 200MPH.

i can count numerous times where i've had an ill handling car and used the draft to stay in the top 4 and had no business being there.

I'm not sure what lap times you are running at mosport currently but i'd be happy to share any infomration i can. i also saw your car at the tech day in Ayr and am briefly familiar with it. i will be at shannonville july 15-17 so please drop by or email me at aandrewwmc at hotmail com
Andrew McMurray
EX - Ontario F1200