New engine developed at VW

brian

New engine developed at VW

Post by brian »

Here's a bold experiment that started while the engineer was at VW. Thought you guys might like watching the video. http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Oppo ... d-Cylinder
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Re: New engine developed at VW

Post by SR Racing »

Interesting. They were claiming 40% efficiency. That is a good jump from a 4 stroke current ICE. I am not sure that the 40% was only in the diesel config or not. (Some diesels are already pushing that as an average and greater than that at peak)
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

That's a clever bit of engineering isn't it? Very cool, Brian. Thanks. Leroy
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
G_J_Podgorski

Post by G_J_Podgorski »

Our company was involved with FEV on the DARPA side of this project years ago. We designed a lightweight, high torque clutching system to engage/disengage the second engine module on demand. This was for the initial helicopter program. Interesting and pleasant group of guys to work with.
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

And I was
G_J_Podgorski wrote:Our company was involved with FEV on the DARPA side of this project years ago. We designed a lightweight, high torque clutching system to engage/disengage the second engine module on demand. This was for the initial helicopter program. Interesting and pleasant group of guys to work with.
And I was on the combustion side of things.