Starters

P-2 Mark

Starters

Post by P-2 Mark »

Does anyone know the weight difference between a STd. VW starter and gear reduction starter. My car and
myself need to go on a diet and I wondered if the weight savings was worth the additional cost?

Mark
tiagosantos

Re: Starters

Post by tiagosantos »

SRacing.com says about 4 pounds!
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

The weight is a nice advantage, but the cranking reliabilty is even better and you don't need the stupid nose bushing in the trans that always wears out.

Jim
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

It is also possible to clock them to clear exhaust interference situations.

Brian
FV95

Post by FV95 »

However, even with the ability to rotate the starter so the solenoid is at a different position, they will not fit all Vees. My early Vector (GB2) is an example.
John
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

With a little machining to the removable mounting nose structure, you can put the solenoid anywhere that the transmission case does not interfere.

Brian
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark, look at this link. interchange/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3366 I started using the heavy gear reduction starter several years back. I have now moved on to the light weight gear reduction 12 volt starter. Bob at LRE sells the starter drive that I have developed. Brian is correct you can clock the heavy starter, as I have a Citation and have my solenoid laying on the transmission.

Dave
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Very nice. How much do you sell them for?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I made several using the 6V drive on the short 12V starter with aluminum mount. It weighed exactly the same as a hi-torque starter I had (within .1 lb).

The only advantage for me was cost ..... it was all wrecking yard parts that were throw-ins with other parts and had been used on my FST car previously. The con is that you are dependant on the transmission bushing. The pro was the $180 x2 I saved. Some people prefer "real" parts from the wrecker. Some people prefer to buy new (whether Chinese, Mexican, or maybe even American). Either way, the net weight was the same.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Hal

Post by Hal »

I got the reduction drive starter a few years ago, pricey but does save I believe around 4 lbs. I did end up working for two evening, many hours to get the thing to fit on my D-13. Works really well though and nice not having to worry/bother with the bushing any more. My Citation is light enough I don't have to give much thought to losing 4 lbs., the stock one on it is fine at this point.

Hal
D-13 88
Citation 88