Glen Results For Sunday's Race

rphillips

Glen Results For Sunday's Race

Post by rphillips »

Did anybody get the results from Sunday's race at the Glen? I left before the results were posted.

Ray
problemchild

Re: Glen Results For Sunday's Race

Post by problemchild »

You were 9th with a 2.18.173

I expect this results sheet is too fine to scan but I can try if you cannot find results elsewhere.

Sun
Siebenaler
Shields
Womer
Rader
Rice
Carmody
Grace Jr
Fredericks
Phillips
Saltenberger
Kittell
Scaler
Curtis
Grace Sr
Grimes
Roche
Bower
Rogers
Schneider
Tupper
Weisheit
Vandecar

Sat
Siebenaler
Womer
Shields
Weisheit
Kittell
Carmody
Grace Jr
Phillips
Rice
Curtis
Grace Sr
Fredericks
Grimes
Roche
Bower
Rogers
Schneider
Tupper
Saltenberger
Rader
Scaler
Vandecar
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Thanks Greg.

Ray
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

How did the number of entries compare with past years?
Could this have been the biggest FV Nat of the 2010 season?

Brian
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

There is no history. This was a double for the first time.

All the other NEDIV Nationals are way down for FV. The next one may have less than a handful of FVs.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Bill_Bonow

Post by Bill_Bonow »

Other than the Runoffs, I'd suspect this will have been the largest SCCA FV grid for 2010 (22 cars)
Bill Bonow
" I love Formula Vees, they're delicious!"
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

22 cars is great for a national. We had 15 at Gingerman on the same weekend, which I also thought was fantastic.
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Unfortunately, the impressive field is not really a sign of great health. It was mostly National guys who have lost enthusiasm (manifolds, tires, SCCA, economy, life, your choice), and have reduced their FV racing, but who all decided to go to the same event ..... essentially because it is an incredible track in an incredible part of the world at the perfect time of year .... and everyone else was going. It was a social event. Without the NASCAR influence (constant FC yellows and red flags) I am sure more would go. I expect BeaveRun will have almost no one there in 2 weeks and the FV/F5 race group will get added to another.

When you have addition by subtraction .... those that get subtracted from get hurt (and race dates disappear).
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

How big was the event overall? Here in Cendiv, both double nationals have had huge attendance, although not a ton of FVs. On the other hand, our local regionals seem to be down compared to last year. It will be interesting to see how Runoffs entries compare to last year. If I had to guess right now, I'd say it looks like a lot of people are taking advantage of the double nationals to run the minimum of four Nationals to qualify.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Well this event/date goes to the top of my vacation race list even though I am not fond of the track itself. The location and weather are a big appeal.

It has been a long time since I was there, is it a short box track? I know the average speed is higher than most tracks, but is it very high speed on the back straight before the bus stop/chicane? What kind of top rpm in 4th?

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

I think it's a much better track when they run the entire course. Actually, it's one of my favorites but have seen the event cancelled due to rain and fog. Our nationals on the West coast have been averaging about 8 cars.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

It has been a long time since I was there, is it a short box track? I know the average speed is higher than most tracks, but is it very high speed on the back straight before the bus stop/chicane? What kind of top rpm in 4th?
I think most people run a short box with a 22 3rd gear. I had a short box with a 26 3rd gear and that is definitely not the way to go. I do know of one driver who had a long box with the standard rears and he was also competitive. In a draft I was reaching 110 - 111 mph before the bus stop at 6600+ rpms.

Ray
CitationFV21

Post by CitationFV21 »

Speedsport wrote:22 cars is great for a national. We had 15 at Gingerman on the same weekend, which I also thought was fantastic.
If the entry list is to be believed, there were 20+ cars at New Hampshire (Regional) the same weekend.

So 2 races in the same division (8 hours apart?) drawing 40+ cars is not bad.

Anyone from NHMS care to check in?

ChrisZ
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Entry was 325+ as stated at drivers meeting. I expect that many potential regional FV guys would be put off by sharing the track with guys like Jeremy Treadway (FF) and Mike Brent (F500). There were 55 cars in the group. It was taking about 8 laps for Treadway to lap the entire FV field. With Saturday's FC caution and Sunday's shortened race, he was about 100 yds short of lapping Roger .... both times.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

What is the cause of the FC yellow and the shortened race? Are there sand traps or is it just all the Armco trapping the accidents on the racing surface?

Some tracks such as Laguna Seca are a complete waste of time and money, as there is always someone in a gravel trap requiring a pace car situation. In the West the offending race group usually eats the down time.

Brian
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

CitationFV21 wrote: If the entry list is to be believed, there were 20+ cars at New Hampshire (Regional) the same weekend.

So 2 races in the same division (8 hours apart?) drawing 40+ cars is not bad.

Anyone from NHMS care to check in?

ChrisZ
Chris, If there was no attrition at different times disabling this car or that, we had 20 FVs at the New Hampshire Regional to race this weekend. We never got more than 19 FVs on the track at the same time, nor less than 16. We've had good fields this year. We had just slightly less entries last month.

We've had a good number of newcomers, and I believe there might be one more coming soon. John
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Because the track is owned and operated by NASCAR they have instituted some BS rules that we don't have anywhere else. The SCCA workers are not allowed over the guard rail to assist the drivers only track employee's. Any incidents almost always have a full course yellow even if they wouldn't normally warrant one.

The reason for the shortened races on Sunday was the first group with the spec crash Miata's was a problem and then a group 2 car went straight off at the heel into the guard rail and did severe damage and the track felt they needed to repair it so it took hours thus the shortened races.

The Glen is my favorite track and I think the best I have ever raced at but since NASCAR took it over they have done what seems like everything possible to make racing at the track less fun due to their stupid rules. Some could be considered safety related but not really always needed. Like Brian says the weather can sometimes be an issue and was at some of the F1 races I attended in the 70"s and 80's but it was great this weekend with the major rain storm happening Friday after the qualifying was over and cooling everything off. The nationals are always run on the full course which is 3.4 miles long and very challenging.

Ed
Fos

1 national & 2 regionals in NE Re:Glen Results For Sunday's

Post by Fos »

I can't believe there was a NJMP regional last weekend too! That's just crazy... two regionals and one national all in the NE...

I did see in Sports Car a general discussion from the president that this is indeed poor planning, they recognize it and will work to avoid such silliness next year...
They also mentioned in the same section that they need to consider changing the runoffs requirements. I think this was in the president's section to the membership...