engine size

1969zeitler

engine size

Post by 1969zeitler »

I bought a 1972 Zink that is suppose to have a 1915cc engine in it. 94mm bore x 69mm stroke. Is there anyway to verify this without removing a head? thanks.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: engine size

Post by FV80 »

You could get a general idea by pulling a cylinder to BDC and attempting to pour in 479cc's of oil. You could judge if you run out of room or have room left ?? (might need to tilt the engine, but theoretically, it should be level with the top of the cylinder (not including the head) when you're done)

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

Well the stroke could be measured by removing the spark plug and inserting a rod and measuring the distance that the piston travels. Measuring the bore could be a bit more complicated.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

If you have an angle finder or protractor you could move the rod from one side of the cylinder wall to the other and, with the length of the rod, do some geometry to get a rough estimate...

*edit*
actually, come to think of it, you really don't even need the angle... just measure the rod in the center and with the end against the cylinder wall.
Heck, do both ways and repeat to see if all your measurements agree.
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
RacerGeek

Post by RacerGeek »

In the time it takes to figure out how to do it without removing the head, you could probably remove the head, take your measurements and replace the head. :lol:
Bob VanDyke
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Probably right. The head is so close to one of the frame rails, I doubt if it would come off and I would have to pull the engine anyway. Guess I will just leave it the way it is and have fun with it. Nice thing about the car is that the dual port engine with dual 48's fits right in with no frame mods so if I want to put this car back to Vintage, it is only an engine swap. I have never seen a VW engine with so much torque. The car actually wants to jump when I throttle it up. Much more power than my Zeitler with a 40hp engine. Should be fun to autocross but will run in BM the way it sits. It won't win anything but it will be a hoot to run.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

PO found the receipt for the engine. It is a 1915 engine from RIMCO. Is that a 69x92? Also has their 040 heads and a pair of 44 delortos. It sure runs strong.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now