opening old case

fvkartguy

opening old case

Post by fvkartguy »

I'm taking apart a really old 1600cc engine that was left in the rain for a while.
I think one of the cylinders has rusted and I cannot get the case apart far enough to unbolt any of the rods from the crankshaft.
Any suggestions?
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
FV80
Site Admin

Re: opening old case

Post by FV80 »

Assuming you have the heads off, spray some PB Blaster, liquid wrench, etc .. actually a LOT of it around the top of the piston. Let it sit for a day or 2 and try again to remove the cylinder. You might be able to break it loose by hitting the piston with a 2 x 4 and hammer. If you are truly desperate, you can also CUT the cylinder (likely will have to be replaced anyway) or just break the piston with a chisel and hammer - probably easier than cutting the cylinder.

Hmmm... also seems that you should be able to split the case if all the rest of the cylinders are off - just leave the piston/cylinder attached on that side and pull the OTHER side away from it - then you should be able to get to the rod bolts. Or maybe not ... it's been a WHILE since I took one apart.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Pile some wax on top of the piston, inside the cylinder. Then heat the cylinder with a torch until you see the wax flow down around the piston and try removing the cylinder again.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

Already tried the PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench AND the 2x4 (well... piece of wood anyway).
I'm trying to save the cylinder, but all of them are stuck to the case pretty well. I had some success pry the other side and will try the wax idea.
The repair manual wasn't too helpful for this... it says once the heads are off the cylinders should separate from the case and slide off... but what if they don't?!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

We all try to save $$$$$$$ whenever we can, but if the cylinders are rusted that badly that you can not remove them, then you won't want them anyway. 1600's are usually not woth the effort to try to rehone for new rings.

Aside from what has already been posted, I use a rubber hammer on the fins- one hand under the barrel and hit the barrel fins with the hammer. Sometimes this will break some fins, but as I said, you do not want them anyway. Plus, 1600 barrels and pistons are about 1/3 of the cost of 1200's.

Not sure this helps, but it might get you to rethink saving the barrels.

Dietmar
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

When I had to pull a seized 1600 cylinder last year, I used the John Muir method. "Pull the cylinders off one by one. They will probably be stuck in the case and have to be persuaded off with a rubber mallet. Hit the fins straight on as pictured."

The included picture shows the rubber mallet hitting the outer fins of a horizontal cylinder with a perfect vertical blow, so that the force goes through the fin like an I-beam. It specifically says don't hit it at an angle, or you could chip the fins off. An inset illustration shows that he wants you to tap it at 1 o'clock, then 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock looking into the left cylinder bore. With my engine, I walked the jug out of the case with about three laps of tapping at those spots.

If you have never seen John Muir's book, it is one of the only technical books that I've seen that is also good recreational reading on a rainy day.....
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

vreihen wrote: If you have never seen John Muir's book, it is one of the only technical books that I've seen that is also good recreational reading on a rainy day.....
hmm.. I'll try that and might have to get the Muir book to compliment my Haye's.
Thanks!
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net