spindles

kidkoh

spindles

Post by kidkoh »

ok so I am checking out my car for the next race and I noticed that there is a "gap" between the spindle and the carrier. it is not a huge gap, probibly about .025 with a feeler guage. my question is can I shim the space between the carrier and the spindle to take up the space or should I just scrap the whole assembly and start over. the parts are not new by any means and they have done me well for quite a long time. I would hate to junk a good part that can be safely repaired. thanks for any info
FV80
Site Admin

Re: spindles

Post by FV80 »

I don' t understand what you mean by a gap between the spindle and carrier. How's about a PIC to show exactly which area you are talking about... ?
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

You can use link pin shims to tighten up the end play between the spindle and the carrier which is sometimes called the dog bone. If the assy is too tight after adding a shim, sand the fiber washer a bit to make some clearance. The spindle assy should be a little tight to start with since they will lossen up a bit. We have the factory reamers to fit king pin bushing and make that service available if the actual bushings are worn out. These bushing are really pounded with our cars since the cornering and negative camber is well beyond their original design.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
kidkoh

Post by kidkoh »

I can take a pick but I can never get one on this site. the gap is between the top of the spindle between the spindle and the dogbone causing the spindle to rise up on the king pin. there is a steel spacer there now but the space between the carrier/dogbone and the top of the spindle is the issue. so from what I take from your post it is ok to shim in this area. I just want to make sure it will be safe
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

There should be two washers, one a steel and one of fibre in a cup. As Brian points out, you can add shims if needed and sand the fibre one to achieve 0 gap. No safety issues involved.
kidkoh

Post by kidkoh »

thanks