Spindle Teathers ?????

problemchild

Spindle Teathers ?????

Post by problemchild »

Can somebody please explain, reference, summarize, or link to options for spindle security?

I have not followed this topic for the past 5 years. Before that, I just crossed my fingers and ignored the issue.

I would like to know the options so that I am informed on this issue and can make a decision based on more than ignorance and dumb luck.

Thankyou in advance.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
brian

Re: Spindle Teathers ?????

Post by brian »

Several approaches are available. Some folks put a cable or piece of all rod, through the speedo hole on the left side to slow the actual exit of the wheel. (tethers) One can drill the speedo hole and tap it and insert a 7/16 bolt, That's an off road trick I've done for years. Peak Performance makes some sleeves that go over the existing spindle and reinforce it. This approach is used in other cars and works very well. The kit comes with sleeves and shims so the bearings are set with shims and the axle nut is tightened to 50# to tighten the sleeve to the spindle. I understand with the addition of the CIP spindles, LRE is not going to make the domestic spindles any more.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think Bob will make spindles BUT they need to make 10pr at a time. When I talked to him in February he said people just wanted to buy cheap Chinese spindles. It took him several years to sell the last run. The good thing is his spindles don't break.

Dave
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

WARNING...

The Chinese spindles are NOT machined correctly. They have a very small radius where the inner bearing seats against the seal land. VW did not machine a large radius under the seal race just so they could have an extra part, the seal race itself. There is an expense involved with WV's design. They had a very good reason for it or they would not have done it.

The LRE spindles have a radius larger than the original, which leads me to believe he knows what he was doing.

Brian