Cranking Voltage Drop

pillowmeto

Cranking Voltage Drop

Post by pillowmeto »

Does anyone know what the voltage drop of the battery is during starter operation (engine cranking)? I want to build a circuit for power regulation of some electronics and need to know my low end voltage. I use a Gel Cell battery, 16-22 amp hours, like most other drivers.

My car, engine, and just about everything else is apart at the moment so I can not test it myself.
Martinracing98

Re: Cranking Voltage Drop

Post by Martinracing98 »

That is a hard question. Among other things at work we build electronics that are used on diesel generators. We design the power supplies to ride through a momentary drop to 0 volts for about 20 milliseconds. Then a return to 6 volts, before slowly increasing to 24 volts. We design the power supply to be able to ride through a long duration if not continuous at 6 volts. We do not require the power supply to initially power up until 10 volts.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Matt,
I don't know the exact voltage drop, but I can guess that it might go as low as 1 or 2 volts under "less than ideal" situations. I would also guess that the 'normal' drop would be to something around 6-7 volts - good, charged battery, good no drag starter, etc. I had a similar problem in my car with the video voltage source. My solution was to simply put a set of AA batteries in the circuit isolated by diodes such that the AA's provided 12 volts to the subject circuits if the car 12V wasn't available. When the car battery is at 12v or higher, then IT provides the operating current. It's worked for me for a couple of years. I just change out the AA's about once a year.
Steve
Last edited by FV80 on January 12th, 2010, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
brian

Post by brian »

Steve, your such a smarty. I use a separate circuit for the data acq. and turn it on after the engine is started. I know some systems reboot if the voltage varies, my Racepak does not.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Yeah - but I can turn mine on either before OR after the engine is started :-). Comes in handy when I end up sitting on the grid for 20 minutes past the 'five'.
I run my data acq, radio, and video off of it.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

I need a bit more time to boot up as I am planning to run a PC in the car (a very small one with no moving parts). It should boot up and go straight to dash mode with no user input but it could take a minute or two. I would prefer that my dash turns on before the green flag.

This set up costs less than a normal dash and allows me to do a whole lot more.