DOM tubing

FamilyWilson

DOM tubing

Post by FamilyWilson »

I live in northern Oklahoma. Where can I find square or rectangular DOM tubing? Is there an alternative that I can use for frame rails? Thanks, Tony
Ed Womer

Re: DOM tubing

Post by Ed Womer »

I am pretty certain that DOM only comes in round tubing. DOM stands for drawn over mandrel and I don't remeber seeing other than round. Check with your local steel suplier and they hopefully will have square and retangular in various sizes. I get those locally in either 16 or 14 guage depending on what it is and then they go up to 11 guage and thicker. Dillsburg Aeroplane works has it in slightly thinner guage but might not be worth the hassel to get it shipped to you.

Ed
Edward Schubert

Post by Edward Schubert »

Try metalsdepot.com or onlinemetals.com
Ed Schubert
Zink/Citation 18B
edschubert@live.com
757-692-1181
neilcox

Post by neilcox »

I would think that some of the oil patch fabricators there could put you on to a local supplier. There is a selection of steel suppliers here in Tulsa.
pmr77

Post by pmr77 »

I have used Metalsupermarkets many times. I noticed there is a location in Tulsa, but I think they will ship to you also.
Martinracing98

Post by Martinracing98 »

For what it is worth. If the DOM is because of the GCR, I do not think that applies the the bottom frame rails. I think it applies to required roll bars and associiated bracing.
FamilyWilson

Post by FamilyWilson »

Thanks everyone for responding. The reason for the question was because of the GCR but if that does not apply to frame rails then I have found a supplier here in Ponca City. Again, Thanks for the help.
brian

Post by brian »

The real challenge with most suppliers is finding tubing that's not too thick. They tend to sell structural steel which is .120 wall. That will be very heavy for our use. Depending on dimension, .095 is more than enough.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.