Winter storage

Greg Davis

Winter storage

Post by Greg Davis »

My car will have a fairly long layover for winter and I am looking for any tips fellow Vee racers might have for preserving the various mechanical components until Spring. I just put on some carbo-tech shoes and skimmed the drums and am a bit concerned about how rust build-up might affect the linings when used again. Any other related advice would be appreciated.
SR Racing

Re: Winter storage

Post by SR Racing »

Greg,

Optimum:

1. Empty the fuel cell and let it dry.
2. Empty the carb of fuel and pump the accelerator a few times to make sure the throttle pump is empty.
3. Crank the engine while spraying some WD-40 down the carb.
4. Keep a Battery Tender (or similar) on the battery all the time.
5. I wouldn't worry to much about the brakes unless you are storing the car in a humid environment or one that changes temperature radically. Just spin the wheels once in a while and drag the brakes. (You could remove the drums and wipe them down with a rag damp in WD-40.

Most important is trying to keep the car in an environment that is relatively dry.

Jim
brian

Post by brian »

Jim has made most of the ciritical points. I will back off the rocker arms and allow all the valves to be closed. Not only will it take the tension off all the springs but seals the ports of the motor.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

ooops.. :oops: Brian is correct and probably with one of the most important points. Let the valve springs relax totally.

Jim
jmattox

Post by jmattox »

Or, you could come to Sunny Florida and race this weekend at the Turkey Trot, January 1-10 for the Quad National and the February regional at Sebring.

John
fv42
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Don't tempt me. I have missed Florida ever since moving away.....
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

Jim and Brian, thanks for your input. John ; I wish.