Forward or backwards?

fastg

Forward or backwards?

Post by fastg »

How do I tell is my transmission has been switched to run in the mid engine configuration? I am not sure if the transmission I have has ever been used in a race car. I don't think it has, so the next question is; does anyone know a link to good direction on how to swap it over?

Thanks

Graham
Restoring a vintage Vee in Chicago.
RacerGeek

Re: Forward or backwards?

Post by RacerGeek »

Try here

http://www.lreracing.com/

It will probably be cheaper in the long run to have Bob Lybarger prep it for you, especially if you are in Chicago.
Bob VanDyke
1969zeitler

Post by 1969zeitler »

Easy way to tell is to flip it over (or crawl under it if it is a car) and remove the oil drain plug. Using a flashlight, look to see if the ring gear (the big one) is on the starter-side of the transaxle. If it is on the other side, it is not flipped. I had the same question and another member passed on this great info. Hope it helps.
Roger
Orlando, Fl
car-less now

I have a VERY understanding Wife.
brian

Post by brian »

Another approach is to put the tranny in any gear except reverse, and rotate the input shaft or engine if installed, clockwise; if the side gear rotates counterclock wise, the ring gear has been flipped. Rotating the hockey stick clockwise all the way will get you 3rd and 4th.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
BobShedd

Post by BobShedd »

Unless you have a press to disassemble and an alignment jig for the forks you are way ahead of taking it to a pro - Bob Lybarger is in McHenry, just NW of Chicago. On frustration alone it is worth it, let alone how many entry fees you waste sorting it out. Call Bob at 815-363-8560