Tranny prep.

brianmetcalf

Tranny prep.

Post by brianmetcalf »

I just picked up a used swing axle transmission out of a bug and was wondering what do I do to prep the transmission for Vee racing? I can rebuild a bug motor in my sleep but never worked on a transmission. I am in need of guidance.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Re: Tranny prep.

Post by Dietmar »

Brian:

Unless you have the tools and/or the jigs I would not attempt a trans.

If we knew where you were located we could give a bit more guidance- Brian McCarthy on the west coast, and Bob Lybarger in the middle come to mind.

I would offer my services, but I am swamped right now.

Give the guys above some consideration- you'll be glad you did.

Dietmar
http://www.QuixoteRacing.com
remmers

Post by remmers »

Steve Pastore (VSR) is in Danbury CT.
brian

Post by brian »

The toughest thing about trannies is that the rebuild process is very intuitive. Far more so then motors. Without a lot of experience you can end up with issues. The second thing is that there are not a lot of new parts available so decisions about used stuff requires experience as well. That doesn't mean that one could not strip a tranny down to the major components, clean everything and flip the ring gear and put it back together and it will work. There's a fine line between freeing up a tranny and having it pop out of gear and cause you grief. Nothing wrong with trying, just remember it will cost you at least an entry fee to find out how you did. Most builder's labor is close to an entry fee so, to me, that makes it worth the investment.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
brianmetcalf

Post by brianmetcalf »

I have just finished cleaning the exterior and am about to delve into the belly of the beast....the whole thing cost me a set of Chevy cylinder heads so if I screw it up it is no great loss.... Besides it will be a learning experience!

Remember the old comercial..... "Gee boss let me do it I always wanted to work on a transmisseeeeion" that was the same comercial that had 4 chubby guys leaning on a car eating doughnuts and the boss was telling someone on the phone......."I got my best guys on it"

Well it's worth a shot to try it myself if only to satisfy my couriosty.
billinstuart

Post by billinstuart »

I used to do my own trannys. I'll vouch it's dam near impossible without a jig/cutaway to adjust the shift forks!!

They shift by sliding a slider with diamond shaped teeth which interlock with the inside of the gear. The fork/slider must fit tight. and the inside of the gear /slider diamonds should still have the diamond shape to provide a reverse bevel to help keep it in gear.

There 3 third gears and 2 4th gears ratios. Subtle differences include input shafts with better sealing, and different side covers and bearing retainers.

Pay particular attention to the paddle ends of the axle and the fulcrum plates. If I were still racing I'd coat those with Moly disulfide!
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

The fulcrum plates are not much of an issue with the current low camber settings.

Brian
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

Brian McCarthy does my tranny. He's great and i have never had an issue with it.

Give him a call - 916-712-5742

Take the axles off and you can put the center section into a reinforced cardboard box and it'll ship UPS just under the weight limit.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR