New Front Spindles

hardingfv32-1

New Front Spindles

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Any interest in NEW Taiwan front spindles? They are about $100 per pair retail. You can find them online.

In my opinion they need work to be properly setup for racing. They come with the oil seal race machined in place. The manufacture thinks this makes them stronger, but it is a larger radius chamfer that is required. So, some machining is required and ideally it should be shot peen after machining. I need to get some volume to make the shot peen work reasonable.

Brian
FV80
Site Admin

Re: New Front Spindles

Post by FV80 »

Brian,
that MIGHT be a solution to one of the parts that are becoming more scarce. How's about posting a link to wherever you found them. I've found quite a few aftermarket spindles, but they always seemed to be BJ ones. :cry: .

If I understand you correctly, the inner seal "race" is not removeable on these ?? Not necessarily a big issue, but it would not meet the rule of 'dimensionally identical' - we would have to modify the rules to allow its use.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Steve Pastore may have a better handle on availability. It is my belief that a large chamfer is necessary to prevent future cracking. This is just good engineering practice. A final "good practice" is to shot peen the radius. The machining I wish to do will make the parts stock in the spindle area. The steering arms are actually a little bigger.

Remember we are not racing dune buggies. We have to treat our front spindles with great respect. I saw two cracked spindles at the Runoffs for example.

This is the manufacture: http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/h ... ckle-.html

Some possible retail sources: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... D412%2D020

http://www.dansperformanceparts.com/

Brian
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Since *ALL* of the cracks that I've ever seen in over 30 years have been UNDERNEATH that seal spacer, having it machined as a part of the hub, MIGHT be "the answer" - it would certainly add a substantial amount of material in the area of fatigue.

Of course, being made in China, it might be suspect regardless. Then again, it might be just fine. I use a LOT of tools from Harbor Freight - most are made in China. Not the most steller of tools, but generally functional in most cases for the limited use I put them to.

In this case, we may never know unless someone sends a request to the CRB to ask if we can use them...
Steve
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

The spindles in the link have a 2.5-inch drop. Do they make them with standard location? If not, they would probably have to redesign the part and then they could make them with or without the spacer built in. Given the discussion at the Runoffs about the future of the class, we could probably end up with a Made in China replica of a 65 Beetle in a few years.
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

To the best of my knowledge, these are the only new spindles that have been made in a long time. I'm getting use to made in China, but then what choice do we have. As a class we did not support Bob Lybarger when he had spindles made, so we deserve what we are stuck with.

At the bottom of the list on the manufacture site are the stock configuration spindles. The trick is to find someone who stocks them in the US retail. The dropped spindles have been available for a long time and sold by everyone. I would assume they are not a disaster.

The purpose of the post is to find a few racers who want to spend the money to do it prep right. This is strictly insurance, but you never know when you need "good engineering practice" until it is to late. One broken spindle and you usually find religion real fast.

Brian
Dave

Post by Dave »

This is kind of a funny discussion, people have been breaking and complaining about spindles breaking for years. Bob Lybarger stepped up to the plate several years ago and had spindles and drums made and approved to be used in our class. Nobody bought them (well very few people) I don't think anyone has broken one of the super spindles. Let's be cheap and buy Chinese junk instead of supporting our long time parts suppliers.

Dave
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Of coarse some new competitors are unaware of the spindle issues for awhile. They bend more units than they crack. Bob does not want to invest in another production run after the long period it toke to recover his last run. So we are where we are and have to make the most of what is available.

Brian
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

That's what the spindle spacers are for that Peak Performance sells--they strengthen the spindles. A few years ago I bent every part on the right front corner including the beam EXCEPT for the spindle which had the spacer installed on it.
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

Brian, I'm glad you brought up the subject of spindles - I need two new ones! I've spoken with Steve about options and he mentioned the ones you mentioned. You're right, he does have a good handle on them.

About the Peak Performance spindle spacers, I have them and think they're great and we should all use them But, the axles still can bend given enough persuasion - mine did. But, that's much better than them breaking, which is the reason I run the spacers.

Anyway, I know nothing of the Lybarger spindles and drums. I'm interested where this thread will go. Thanks, guys!
Edward Schubert

Post by Edward Schubert »

Can someone supply me contact info for Peak Perormance? Thanks
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Peak Performance is Mike Palermo - otherwise known as 'sharplikestump on this forum. He drops by occasionally. You might try a PM to him, although the PM response is pretty bad due to the lack of autonotification of the recipient. You can also try long distance info - I think the city is Shawnee, CO - someone else might know for sure.
Steve
brian

Post by brian »

MIke's off hunting right now but his number is 303-838-9515. I too, recommend the spacer kits.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
remmers

Post by remmers »

What are these spacer kits? Does anyone have a link or a picture (both on and off spindle preferably)?
VDF1

Post by VDF1 »

I don't have pictures, but here's the post from Brian McCarthy on the LeftCoast FV site in 2006 where I first learned of the spacers that has a bit of explanation:

"There has been a considerable discussions regarding FV front spindles and their weaknesses. Several folks have some up with solutions to the problem. LRE has developed a strengthened aftermarket spindle. Some use bolts through the middle to prevent loosing a wheel when they do break. Some recommend magnifluxing or dye checking spindles on a regular basis to maybe avoid an on track failure. There is one more thing that can be done that I recently applied to my car. Using a concept applied to British sports cars for many years, Peak Performance builds a spacer that goes between the two inner bearing races that when torqued to a prescribed value, nearly triples the strength of the spindle. I'm no engineer but it has been explained to me that when the spacer is in place it effectively increases the thickness of the spindle to the OD of the race and greatly strengthens the assembly. The kit comes with shims to set the bearing end play and is very reasonably priced. I am in no way connected with the product and have nothing to gain but peace of mind. If you're interested call Mike Palermo at 303-838-9515."

I also heard recently that Bruce Livermore built some of these several years ago and perhaps there are others in the East. Maybe someone who has them can take a picture for other drivers who want them.
Life atrophies if it gets too far from risk
sharplikestump

Post by sharplikestump »

Hi all,
Just came across this post. I appreciate the plug as I truely believe it benefits us all to have them on as many Vees as possible. I will try to post a pic....umm, as soon as I get some more done. Just boxed up the last set I had.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
Mike P.