flipping ring gear

Don

flipping ring gear

Post by Don »

I need to flip the ring gear over and this will be a first for me. I know there are all sorts of procedures for setting up the pre load etc, but hey I want to make my life easy. My question is do you mormally flip the shims too, or just the gear?

thanks, don
sharplikestump

Re: flipping ring gear

Post by sharplikestump »

Don,
While Iv'e only done around 100 trannies (compared to a couple thousand engines), I can tell you that I have been surprised how often I have seen the following: Simply swapping the ring gear to the other side with it's carrier bearing attached has been all that was necessary MOST of the time. I blue up the teeth on the pinion SHAFT, torque it all together, spin it, and pull it back down. Compare the pattern that is transferred to the ring gear with the recommendations in most any manual and go from there. I have the factory set up tools for the trans part, but still go with this procedure for the diff.
Ya might check with Bob Lybarger on this, as I have to think he has done more of these than the rest of us put together.
brian

Post by brian »

I agree with Mike, you can use white grease on the ring gear if you don't have dikem.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Don

Post by Don »

Thanks, guys, appreciate the help. I am familiar with reading the markings on the pinion and looks straignt forward to flip.

cheers, don