New Goodyears

brian

New Goodyears

Post by brian »

I've heard that GY has a new tire out there. Does anyone have a comments?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Dave

Re: New Goodyears

Post by Dave »

Mike Beaumia ran a set at the Sprints, Mike Knox said that they made 20 sets or so for testing and will have a new updated version or two before the Run-Off's.

Dave
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Yes they have been avalable for maybe two months. At the new track in New Jersey was the first time I really got to use them (I didn't make it past turn one at Summit) I qualified 2nd and won after Roger broke. We did run together and I think they are as good as the Hoosier tire and I did get the new track record since it was the first national.

I also ran them at Watkins Glen two weeks ago and Roger and I again ran together for the last half of the race and I almost got Roger at the finish line. Dean Curtis also is using them and he did lead the race at one point but lost Roger and my draft late in the race but was able to run fast enough on his own to get third.

I feel that Goodyear has a tire that has us back in the game again. I do know they are not done with the developement and intend to do small incremental improvements until they have the best tire.

Ed
brian

Post by brian »

Thanks Ed. The last time I ran the GY they worked ok but had crowning issues and didn't last as long as the Hoosiers. Any thoughts on those issues?
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Brian,

I don't know what you mean by crowning and I have two races on the one set and they still seem to have some good life in them. Will they last as long as the Hoosier's, I don't know about that. The set of Hoosiers I had to buy in the begining of the season have two qualifying and two races and seem good but I am not planing on racing anymore until the runoffs assuming I have enough points to go to the runoffs. So I don't know how they will wear.

Ed
fvkartguy

Post by fvkartguy »

Is there a name or part number for the new tires?
HendricksRacing Site:
www.HendricksRacing.net
brian

Post by brian »

Crowning is an effect of air pressure increase that causes a rounded tire profile. Think bicycle tire. Depending on construction, all tires will grow with an increase in air pressure. Some will tend to stretch the tread area and cause a rounded contact area reducing the tire patch.

The last GY's I ran had this problem. If I ran enough pressure to go hard at the green, they would grow and get looose late in the race. If I ran them low, I had to go easy to avoid overheating them. Nitrogen fill would reduce this effect but is a pain in the ass to have to purge and refill the tires.

Ed, guestion is, which tire will you be on at the Ru :lol: noffs?
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

fvkartguy wrote:Is there a name or part number for the new tires?
There's only ONE "new" tire - any supplier will know which one you want.
For Brian ... the new tire has addressed the 'crown' issue. It is a MUCH flatter tread patch with a MUCH stiffer sidewall. I like it a LOT. Same compound as the old 'crown' tire - 430 - tried and true :-).
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Ed Womer

Post by Ed Womer »

Brian, I will be on the Goodyears at the runoffs. Like Steven said the tire stays pretty flat and for me with start pressures of 16 & 18 and they end up at 20 & 21. They are consistent for the whole run and do seem to wear better than the old tires. The new tire is much narrower than the Hoosier tire but works as good. Again like Steven I like the new tire a lot.

Ed
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

I can personally say I have 2 cars on the New Goodyears and have NOT had any crowning problems! We start out at 17/19 ish depending on the day and throughout the race they stay very constant, the wear is very good as well

Terry
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
brian

Post by brian »

thansk guys for the input. Sounds like GY may have gotten it right, I'll have to try some.