Summit Point July 17. 18 & 19

Bill Carroll

Summit Point July 17. 18 & 19

Post by Bill Carroll »

Summit Point - Friday practice, Sat.& Sun. will have multiple practices, timed runs, Qual. & Race each day. Looking for a couple more Vee's. This is the most bang for your buck you'll get anywhere. Low cost, tons of track time, great people who want to have fun, race and help each other advance, they'll even help you with your car! ...and any formula car is welcome and only Formula Cars, no fenders no sports racers. http://www.frcca.com/modules.php?name=Contact_Us
Bill Carroll

Re: Summit Point July 17. 18 & 19

Post by Bill Carroll »

Need a little advice. Will my short box be OK for the main track at SP, I'm running 22.5" rear tires?
fv195

Post by fv195 »

yes, and you won't need second.
might see you there.
THOR
Steven McWilliams JR

Post by Steven McWilliams JR »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be there, just missing the practice Friday. I think 2 more guys are coming that I talked to at the regional this weekend so there should be a fairly good field of FVee
Steven McWilliams Jr.
Crew: #92 1986 Reynard SF2000
Driver: #19 1992 Vista C
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

I am planning to be there, I will contact frcca in the next 2 days.

-Matt Hayes
Steven McWilliams JR

Will they let me run on my SCCA Novice Permit? If so, I'll register soon. I just ordered some lightly Used Hoosier R55 compound so I'm pretty excited to use them instead of the old Goodyears I was using that have been pushed around garages for months.
- Matt, should I bring the engine parts I have for you?
Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

Steven,

I have been told we can go on our Novices, I will call them tomorrow and can get back to you.

Sure, I would love to have the engine parts, just let me know what you want for them.

-Matt
Steven McWilliams JR

Matt, I'll bring out the engine parts, do you want the Split case tranny too?
Thanks for calling and checking, do you know if Dave is gonna come?
I'm going to have Ed weld on a bar that stops my pedal from flopping down at me, the tie wrap broke, that's why I pulled off after T1 our last race, but they counted the Sat. 10 lap race so that was cool.

See you there,
Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

I just spoke to John Heckman (President of FRCCA) and he said we will be fine on our novice permits. They will put us in their novice program and we will run with the regular vees but they will keep an eye on us our first few sessions.

The regulations for Vees are the same as SCCA. There is a rule book on their website. http://www.frcca.com/modules.php?name=Downloads

They have a few different flags that they will teach us before our first session. When you fill our the entry form you can mail/fax/email it back to John or just bring it with you to the track.

-Matt
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

Article I. in the rulebook says a lot about the club:
“My belief is that Formula car racers are more committed to developing serious driving skills with less
enjoyment coming from pushing and rubbing. A full day of driving, without waiting time is the goal of the FRCCA."

I'll be camping at the track, who else is?

Bill
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

Ill be camping, I just sleep in the trailer.

It will be nice to compare notes with another D-13 driver. I got mine down to a 1:31.6 last weekend at MARRS, but I needed a draft to do it.
Steven McWilliams JR

wow, 1.31.6 nice! no wonder I couldn't catch you Saturday! I think I'll be able to get down in the high 20's, low 30's, the car should be able to, if I can get more than one lap in at a time! I'll be sleeping in my trailer too.
Thanks for checking about the NOvice Permits

See you out there,
Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

I got a draft off of Dan Voss and followed the leaders down the straight, picked up an extra 600 rpm following them. I think that was my fastest lap.

Ed Impink has been saying he will go. He is the guy you met in the fall. He has a green car that I was helping him with when you walked over. He has been racing for decades, is a great guy, and is a great source of information. He worked for Bill Scott and Electrodyne, running their Porsche 935 in IMSA.

I am looking forward to setting up my car to handle in a way I like, with all those back to back sessions I should be able to do a lot of experiments.
Steven McWilliams JR

When my car is handling the way I like, hopefully I can get some good sessions in, it looks like I'll be using a zip tie for the throttle stopper, oh well, maybe Ill use 2. haha. Ray Qualls car drafts really well by the way, I got passed by the F500, Voss, Fultz, and then Ray, I had to go to the outside of 10 to let Ray by so I was way behind, but by the Star/Finish, I was tucked under him, I could feel the car suck in behind him. it was pretty cool.
I'm hoping Hoosier will be there since the Pro F2000 guys are running, I think I'll keep the set I have on, and then change to my new tires during lunch Sat. I just got them today, they look amazing, they still smell fresh too! :lol:

Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

2 D13's will be cool, I have my front apart right now doing king pins, shold be all ready next week.
Steve your definatly cracked, smelling tires?
I have no idea what kind of times I'll run, this is my first time on the main track.
Looks like we will have a nice showing of FV's, if we can get enough we can get our own race soon.
Steven McWilliams JR

Our own session would be cool, I guess we're running with FC,FF, CF, ect?
It'll be cool to watch the Pro F2000 guys tear it up!
Now Come on now, tell me you've never took a whiff of new tires eh? :P
I actually came home from work ,and I guess they were out in the sun w/out packaging, so I smelled sweet rubber when I came up to my porch, they are now in the cool basement. SUmmit was really fun the first time I drove it last weekend, only down shift twice into third at 1 and 5, so it's fairly easy to get a rythym goin, with all the practice Friday, you'll be fine, I practiced last Friday for about 20 sum laps, and I only got 7 laps both Sat. and Sun. so I'm still learning the track too, unfortunately I forgot to take off work that Friday, so I'll miss the practice sessions.

Off to sniff other things ,
Steven
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

We'll be runing with Novice FF, the "Tyro Class", great group of rookies, though some are older than, well me. King pins are done, and fuel cell and new cover is fitted. Making up new fuel lines tonight. Need to get my tires mounted too. Should be good to go by the weekend. Car is still ugly, but, Heck I think I'll run with the F2000's, D13's rule!

I did not hear if there will be Hoosier tires at the track, I also don't know if AJ has his new adapter for FV wheel's yet, so come prepared, Ski Racing (FV & FM) will be there but their shop at the track is closed on the weekend, they have a rental FM running.

P.S. I love the smell of burning rubber in the morning!
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

We have a parking map available on the new FRCCA web site, they are looking at having 85 formula cars there next weekend! look at:
http://www.frccallc.webs.com

For the guys running with the FRCCA - remember to bring (2) new 9v batteries for the FRCCA transponders! They supply their own, so your AMB's won't be used.
John Heckman

Post by John Heckman »

Schedule now posted on http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com
John
Steven McWilliams JR

Is registration at the building by the entrance, or by the red classroom buildings. Also, is there a Saturday night dinner, we're trying to figure out how much food we should bring, we should arrive late Thursday night. around 10 or so
Steven McWilliams Jr.
#15 ITA Honda Civic Si
Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

Registration will be in the pit area (big sign), Saturday they have food at the awards ceremony. I hope to be there Thrusday eve as well, see you there!
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

I will be driving in Thursday evening. I am hoping to be there around 7ish. Look for the small Uhaul Trailer.
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

Bill Carroll

Post by Bill Carroll »

Does anyone have a parking area they prefer?
I need electric and to pitch a tent near by?
Would be nice to have the Vee's gang up on the Ford's!
pillowmeto

Post by pillowmeto »

For scca events the vees usually pit in the bottom left corner of the frcca area in the map on frcca's site. Try to avoid being near the paved paddock road as that is the low spot and floods in the rain. The end closest to the paddock entrance can also flood. Being near the tree line on the end of the paddock near the buildings is high and dry.

As proof, I offer this picture.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pillowmeto/ ... 8180514434