Front bearing failure

MCRacer

Front bearing failure

Post by MCRacer »

The inner bearing (ball type) on my left front failed during my last race and I'm wondering if it's normal "wear and tear" or some other problem. When I pulled the drum to check the brakes (subject for another post) some of the balls fell out. The seats were "enlarged" also. I had a problem with that wheel locking up under heavy braking but thought I fixed it by backing off on the shoes (and changing to a round tire!) since I had no problems after that. Now I'm wondering if the bearing failure and the lock ups are related. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

p.s. I think I'll switch to rollers.
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Front bearing failure

Post by FV80 »

Mike,
1). The bearing failure and the lockups ARE most likely related - at least it's possible. As the bearing wears, it will allow the wheel to wobble, leading to 'hot' pressure spots on the shoe/drum interface.
2). The front bearings are not a particularly problematic issue. Most likely, it ran out of grease and THAT is what led to the failure.
3). Roller bearings are slightly more forgiving, but will still need to be kept greased. I'm not sure when was the last time you looked at the bearings, but I'd suggest that at least every other race weekend, they should be pulled and checked - the bearings, wheel cylinders and the brake shoes - and inspect the drums themselves and the spindles at the base for cracks.

Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
MCRacer

Re: Front bearing failure

Post by MCRacer »

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. Bearing almost certainly ran out of grease. I didn't think about it at the time (I was so suprised when it fell apart) but thinking back after your comment I don't think there was much grease on it. I had repacked the bearings before the previous race so it was recent. Maybe I didn't do a good job though I did them like I always have and this is my first bearing failure.
Mike