Mouth guard

Dmclellan

Mouth guard

Post by Dmclellan »

Does anyone drive with a mouth guard? If so, what type?

Doug
Doug
flat tappet

Re: Mouth guard

Post by flat tappet »

I bought mine from Pegasus Racing(page 17 of their latest catalog). It's made by Shock Doctor. They also sell a handy case to store it in.
fv31

Post by fv31 »

i probably should, as i've actually had an injury where i bit my tongue in a wreck. i think it may interfere with my cursing during the race though.

bill
fv31
jb_11

Post by jb_11 »

I bought the Shock Doctor one. It fits on your bottom teeth instead of the top, so I find it a little easier to talk, swallow, etc. with it. I got it after reading that some concussions in impacts are caused by your jaw slamming shut. I forget where I got it, but I think it was about $15.
-JB
Dmclellan

Post by Dmclellan »

Thanks for the replies. I'll try one for the next race.
Doug
Dave

Post by Dave »

Get in a crash and you might choke on the thing. That's why the GCR tells old guys to take their false teeth out before racing.
supersmile

Post by supersmile »

For what its worth, I'm a dentist and I don't wear one.

But if you think its important, I'd be leery of any device you mold to fit yourself, and would invest in having a custom athletic guard made by your dentist. It'll cost more, but fit properly and probably interfere less with your breathing.
Rob Zatz
jb_11

Post by jb_11 »

I think by mounting to the lower jaw it is less likely to be a choking hazard. Check it out here:
http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/grav ... guard.aspx
-JB
Mark_Silverberg

Post by Mark_Silverberg »

I use a custom molded mouth guard made by my dentist which goes on my upper plate. I find it has several advantages.
1) It is actually a little easier to breath with it in,
2) Helment strap is more comfortable.
3) definitely helps the jaw rattle when driving off the surface of the track - which I try very hard not to do often

If you have one made make sure you have it set up so the front teeth contact the guard first (not the molars). If it is too thick at the back it will tend to act as a fulcrum point with the force of the chin strap and result in jaw pain. I have no idea what it cost - it was either covered under insurance or my dentist did not charge me (he did get an autographed picture in a frame - which is worth the price of the frame).

I have tested the mounth guard in a 4 hit end over end and it worked as intended and did not budge. A well made mouth guard will not move and is almost inperceptible.

I also have a note at the bottom of my visor stating I am using a mouth guard the emergency workers would be aware of it if I am unable to tell them.
Mark Silverberg
Zink C4
Lynx B