oh oh - oil temp gauge hosed?

rstackjd

oh oh - oil temp gauge hosed?

Post by rstackjd »

We got the new motor in and fired and running nice. Then I glanced at the Oil temp gauge and freaked! It was pegged at 300 in less than 3 minutes. Shut the motor down and sweated for a little while. Hour later I turned the master switch and watched the temp guage peg at 300 again, without the engine running. Whew - not the motor, just the gauge.

When there's no power to it it's in the "0" position, but as soon as current goes to it, it pegs.

Is the gauge shot? might w ire be crossed?

VDO analog gauge if it makes a diffrerence.

Thanks
SR Racing

Re: oh oh - oil temp gauge hosed?

Post by SR Racing »

Gauge is probably fine. That is what it should do when the sensor is not connected. So either your sensor wire is not connected to the gauge, or your sensor could be defective.

We have sensors for the VDO gauges if that turns out to be your problem.
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

SR Racing wrote:Gauge is probably fine. That is what it should do when the sensor is not connected. So either your sensor wire is not connected to the gauge, or your sensor could be defective.

We have sensors for the VDO gauges if that turns out to be your problem.
Ok - I guess we'll have to look and see if the sensor is not connected properly. Will you guys be at Blackhawk next weekend by chance? If so, I might just have you bring a senor with you if that's the problem, since with shipping I doubt it would get here before Thursday when I'm heading out there.

Thanks for the help.

Bob
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Bob, Along the same lines, if you mix up the wires going to the pressure guage and the temperature guage, you will get the same result. Still no connection, but confusing and not necassarily obvious.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
rstackjd

Post by rstackjd »

problemchild wrote:Bob, Along the same lines, if you mix up the wires going to the pressure guage and the temperature guage, you will get the same result. Still no connection, but confusing and not necassarily obvious.
Thanks - I don't think that's the problem since it appears the pressure gauge is working properly. Going to take a look when I get home tonight. At least ti sounds like it will be something easy! whew!
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Bob, If you order Monday (assuming you need one) you would have it Wednesday easy.

Jim