Rhino Case

RickyBobby

Rhino Case

Post by RickyBobby »

Before I plunk down my money, could someone tell me if the Rhino transmission case is legal in SCCA? Also, I have seen after- market heavyduty side plates for sale. Are these legal and/or are they worth the money for a FV? Thanks everyone.

Bob
SR Racing

Re: Rhino Case

Post by SR Racing »

The Rhino case is not. The axle retainer side plate reinforcements are. (Considered "fasteners", which are free in the GCR)
brp

Post by brp »

I would think that the aftermarket 'heavy duty side covers' would NOT be legal for FV. They may not be of the same material (some are steel) and are not dimensionally identical.

I would also say that you do not need them. The FV engine does not have enough power to flex the ring gear side 'side cover' to be of any consequence. A VW drag car, or high horsepower street car is a whole 'nuther matter.

Mike
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

Absolutly no need for the Rhino case with only 60 HP.

Aren't heavy duty side covers used to retain the axles during off road excursions?

Hardware..... think off them as large washers.

Brian
brian

Post by brian »

Brian and Mike are both right. The heavy duty stuff is for drag racing and off road. The off road trannies I do are set up differently.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
brp

Post by brp »

I'd like to clarify something related to this thread.

I believe there are three items being discussed here.
1.. The Rhino Case. Probably not legal as a replacement part. Certainly the extra strength (and weight) is not necessary for a FV transaxle.
2.. The heavy duty aftermarket side covers. These are the actual side covers that hold the differential in place and that the axle tubes are bolted to. I do not believe these are legal. As stated earlier I do not believe they are at all necessary for a FV transaxle.
3.. The Axle tube reinforcement rings (or split rings) that go over the 6 studs that hold the axle tube onto the side cover. I believe these were described as fasteners and probably OK. These are often helpful in preventing leaks where the axle tube bolts to the side cover because they do not allow the bolt on flange to flex & bend.

My original post was referencing the part that I described in #2.

Mike