wheels and tires for Auto-X

TigerBob

wheels and tires for Auto-X

Post by TigerBob »

Howdy, I'm thinking of running the ol Vee in some autocrosses and I'm wondering what size and offset of wheels are commonly used and what brand and size of tires. I'm also curious about tire pressure.

Thanks,
Bob
DanRemmers

Re: wheels and tires for Auto-X

Post by DanRemmers »

The standard solo vee wheels are 13x8 front and 13x10 (or 13x9) rear, with Hoosier 20x7.5-13 front and 20x9-13 rear, R25B compound.

Offsets vary (I'm not sure what mine are), but the main factor is clearance with the suspension. I'm guessing (roughly) the offset is around 1", front and rear. The best measurement to use when ordering wheels is the backspacing. That's the distance from the wheel mounting to the inside of the wheel edge (easy to measure clearance on the car).

I run pressures between 13 and 15 psi. YMMV

I've run against vees with the full road racing setup, and they're only 2 or 3 seconds slower.
TigerBob

Post by TigerBob »

Ah yes, I meant backspacing. Offset is such a strange way of referencing a wheel.

I wasn't sure if the R25 compound would heat up fast enough or if you guys were using an A6.

Thanks for the info.
-Bob
vreihen

Post by vreihen »

If you go digging through this admittedly dated info, you'll find what tires and wheel sizes many of these Vee pilots are/were running listed with their pictures:

http://www.geocities.com/svoa2000/Pictures.htm
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

TigerBob wrote:I wasn't sure if the R25 compound would heat up fast enough or if you guys were using an A6.
Isn't the A6 radial? I don't think radials would work well with vees. Too light and bizarre front suspension geometry.
TigerBob

Post by TigerBob »

Ahh, I didn't realize there would be much of a difference between a radial and bias ply.