Dbl SARRC at Barber 8/29-8/30

rhaynes93

Dbl SARRC at Barber 8/29-8/30

Post by rhaynes93 »

Who is going?
I'd like to see some NC FV friends there.
FV90

Re: Dbl SARRC at Barber 8/29-8/30

Post by FV90 »

How bout NA?
Very, Very Nice place to race
fv22

Post by fv22 »

I'll be there. Hoping for better weather than last year!
Bob
FV22
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Looks like Anthony is on board as well, we got 4 so far.
rhaynes93

Post by rhaynes93 »

OK, make that NA, TN, NC and FL. Hope we get more. I think fv31 will be there too.
I had a DNS last week at Gateway because the car WNS.
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Jumped to 6 today 8/8/08
There is also a Vintage sports car show going on as well on the grounds
rhaynes93

Post by rhaynes93 »

up to seven now. like to see ten.
lee

Post by lee »

Randy,
How are you doing, friend? Long time no see.

I'd love to say I'm coming but I made Daytona my long haul for the year. Sadly that was a flop for me and the engine is completely apart on the bench.

I hope you guys have a great weekend at Barber.

Lee
f clark

Post by f clark »

LEE,
What did you find inside?
Fred
lee

Post by lee »

Sent you a PM, Fred.

Lee
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Latest entry show 8. The Vees are also in a nice run group which has CF, F5, FF, and FST.
rhaynes93

Post by rhaynes93 »

Sweet. Looks like a good group.
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

The Road Atlanta damage is repaired and I'm in a better mood. No suprises, but I wouldn't have had time to do it in the paddock and feel safe on the track.

Entry list's up to ten as of today. That's half our run group (F5, FF, CF, FST, FV)!

10 Sherman Engler white 0 Protoform v
Sponsored by: Express Oil Change
17 Anthony Henderson red 1993 Caracal/Volkswagen C-Formula Vee
Sponsored by: Village Volkswagen of Chattanooga
19 James Brookshire gray 1998 Agitator FV
31 William Hall blue 1991 citation 90v
Sponsored by: HAETS, Inc.
38 Joseph Brown Silver/Purple 2002 Agitator III
41 John Fuchs black 1990 Caracal D
80 Stevan Davis White 2008 Racer's Wedge SB-1
Sponsored by: Goodyear, Butler Engines, Valvoline
90 Mark Rothermel Blue 1983 Caracal C
Sponsored by: crowmountianhillclimb.org
93 Randall Haynes Orange 1976 Zink Z-12
05 James Vaseff Yellow 1997 Citation XTC - 41
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"
fv22

Post by fv22 »

Hey everyone have fun at Barber looks like a great field. Thought I would be there but things came up that made me change my plans, going to Sebring instead
Bob
MCRacer

Post by MCRacer »

Here's the field for Saturday's race. 8 Vees and 1 FST. Results are on Mylaps.

Mike
lee

Post by lee »

Anybody with a weekend recap? Looks like a few people had some problems over the weekend.

Lee
FV90

Post by FV90 »

Saturday
1. Stevan Davis (waive SARRC pts)
2. John Fuchs
3. Sherman Engler - crash on last lap with Anthony/Stevan
4. Anthony Henderson - crash on last lap with Sherman/Stevan
5. Mark Rothermel
6. William Hall
7. Randall Haynes
DNF James Brookshire - crash at first of the race
DNF James Vaseff - electrical

Sunday
1. John Fuchs
2. Stevan Davis (waive SARRC pts )
3. Randall Haynes
4. Mark Rothermel
5. William Hall
6. James Vaseff

Fun Fun Fun track and good racing with the guys mid-pack.
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

I REALLY hate to have to report this, but the weekend recap is pretty dismal. I was there (trying to sort out my car) and started at the back so as to stay out of everyone's race. On Saturday, Jim Vaseff pulled off on the pace lap with an unknown problem. After starting behind by about the length of the front straight, I gradually made my way up through the field and caught Sherman (the leader) on the last lap. I tried to pass him at the end of the back straight, but couldn't get it done, so backed off and tucked in behind him to follow through the dip. He hit the brakes *WAY* harder than I expected (I had followed him through on the previous lap, tho' several car lengths back) and I plowed into him. He spun around and got collected by Anthony big time. I had just passed Anthony on the previous lap and he was only a few lengths behind me - probably blocked from the initiation of the incident because of the blind turn. I really hate that this happened. When I run a regional, I always make a real effort to not interfere in the regional racing and points. I failed miserably this time. I just got caught off guard :oops: , since I only lightly touch the brake at that point on the track and I was trying to make sure I stayed close to Sherman just to make a good show for the crowd. Bad decision and it trashed 2 cars. Sherman's got a twisted frame in the rear and who knows how much other damage and Anthony wasted his front beam on the left side. Didn't look too bad, but probably more damage that I didn't note - hopefully the frame is OK. Both guys are OK, though both don't think very highly of me at this point.

I spoke to Anthony afterwards, but never found Sherman to apologize. My damage was minimal - a trashed nose and busted brake fluid reservoir. I had video of the accident and viewed it several times Saturday night ... and then accidentally deleted it while deleting some trash files :cry: . It was pretty amazing as there were only about 2 frames between his hitting the brakes and the contact. It was like being shot from a cannon into the back of his car. I was initially about 1 and a half car lengths back.

Since neither Sherman nor Anthony finished the last lap, John Fuchs inherited the win - Sherm, then Anthony, then Mark Rothermel who had already been lapped by the lead FF. (I was not included as I had signed a points waiver).

Sunday's race was uneventful with a decimated field. I believe that John won again with Mark and Randall behind, tho not sure of the 2,3 order. Results are up on MyLaps if you want to know for sure.
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

Looks like my damage was limited to the beam, broken tie rod end, and a little body work. God, I wish I'd had another foot or two and I'd have cleared Sherman. Of course, any closer and the collision would have involved frame-to-frame contact and that could have been really bad! I just didn't have anywhere to go in the middle of a turn with a car broadside in the middle of the line. I've replayed it myself many times.

Don't beat yourself up, Stevan. I know you'd never have put yourself there if you thought it might have ended like it did. It's just a racing thing. I was just thrilled to be up there contending with the likes of you and Sherman. Folks, if you can put Barber on your list you'll find the track is worth the trip!

Looks like I'll be handing the SARRC championship over to Shannon or Russ this year. Good luck at the SIC! I believe I'll skip it this year and start getting ready to possibly run some nationals next year.
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"