Thow Out Bearing

satterley_sr

Thow Out Bearing

Post by satterley_sr »

I can't get more than three week-ends out of a throw out bearing before it is destroyed. Different engines/clutches. Tried both types of bearings. Has a hydraulic clutch , I set the free play at the pedal to about 1/2 " & I don't think I'm riding the clutch.

Anyone have any ideas? This one has me baffled.

Thanks

Dave
fv195

Re: Thow Out Bearing

Post by fv195 »

is the throw-out arm"fork" bent? putting strange pressure on the bearing? just a quick thought on it, that could cause a problem
THOR
DanRemmers

Post by DanRemmers »

PM LtDan on this forum. He's had similar issues with his TOB, and on Sunday he said he discovered what the problem was. I didn't get details.
brian

Post by brian »

Like was said, bent fork is likely. Check and make sure the shaft is fitting properly in the tranny case. Make sure you can detect free play in the clutch arm at the tranny. You can have movement in the pedal and still have the TO bearing preloaded at the clutch.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

What exactly in the bearing is being destroyed? The bearings are bad? The housing is coming apart?

If your clutch operating shaft is way off center the bearing will be riding off center. The clips should be installed correctly and the shaft installed correctly with the bushings and circlips in the proper places. As pointed out, the arms could also be bent. Over operation of the clutch arm can also cause the bearing stress.
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Dave: The comment that concerns me is: free play at the pedal is 1/2". What is the free play at the operating arm? This is more important than at the pedal. You should be able to grab the arm and move it slightly before it engages(get resistance at) the pressure plate.
Also, as someone asked- what does it look like when it is "destroyed"?

Dietmar
satterley_sr

Post by satterley_sr »

Folks,

The T/O brg is siezed, blue/black. The disc on the PP is also blue/black and warped. I'm installing a new trans so hopefully that will cure the problem. Dietmar I'll also check the free play at the clutch arm.

Dave
OhioMark

Post by OhioMark »

If the cluth operating shaft is moving due to the clip being damaged or removed, then the alignment of the TO bearing
and PP will be off and therefore the failure. I had this problem at M-O last fall, and cured it by replacing the TO bearing,
installing a new clip to prevent the shaft from moving etc.. If you destoyed the TO bearing, make sure you locate ALL
of the ball bearings because they can lodge inside the pressure plate and prevent the clutch from working 100 %..

Mark