Fire Extinguisher In Paddock

racingwillie

Fire Extinguisher In Paddock

Post by racingwillie »

In case you missed it, rule number 7 of the Supps. states, "Entrants must have a fire bottle displayed in their paddock area with a minimum rating of 10ABC. THIS IS A GEORGIA STATE LAW."
Just so you are aware.
Bill
24b4Jeff

Re: Fire Extinguisher In Paddock

Post by 24b4Jeff »

I have never seen it enforced in the 8 or 10 times I went there. The really strange thing is that there is no requirement to have a fire extinguisher at Road Atlanta or at Lanier Speedway, even though these tracks are also in Georgia.
fv195

Post by fv195 »

they were looking for them at the double school last month, better to be safe than sorry
THOR
f clark

Post by f clark »

In reguards to wheather the FIRE EXTINGUSHIER request is enforced or not rests on the fire marshell that visits your track.
The Effingham County fire marshell visits RRR ,WITHOUT NOTICE on a regular basis, he needs no speical SCCA lisence to enter our track and will enforce his codes, this is not a bluff, just a fact. Our Paddock Marshells will except nearly any fire bottle you have, mine is in its holder inside the door of the trailer (20 lb.) inside the door has always been fine with everyone.
Please consider this request when you come to RRR, our Paddock Marshells are very understanding with any kind of effort on your part to comeply.
Thanks
Fred Clark
butchdeer

Post by butchdeer »

Fred:

If I have multiple cars in the trailer is one extinguisher O.K. or do I need One extinguisher per race car?
Butch
FV since1963
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

butchdeer wrote:Fred:

If I have multiple cars in the trailer is one extinguisher O.K. or do I need One extinguisher per race car?
Butch
Butch, the requirement is "in your paddock space" - so 1 should get the job done (just hope more than one car doesn't catch fire at the same time :mrgreen: )
Steve
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
racingwillie

Post by racingwillie »

OK, I am not sure if they mean a 10 pound ABC or a 10ABC. There is a difference. So I bought one of those big Ansul carts. Not really. I bought a 20A 120BC rated firebottle. Similar to what the corners have.
A: Solids, textiles etc. (not much of that in a paddock or racecar.)
B: Liquids, grease etc. (plenty of those around)
C: Electrical (nuff said)

Butch, as the rule says, "A fire bottle" So, you could have 20 cars and be legal. Besides, you already have one per racecar.

Anyhow, I emailed the track for some clarification on the requirement. I'll let you know what I hear. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And it is a good idea. Who knows when that grill might get out of control.

I ask you to pass the word on to the other groups, FST, SuperVee, Vintage.

See you there. Lord willing and the creek don't rise,

Bill
racingwillie

Post by racingwillie »

Well, the email I got back from the track stated: "Your 20 lb is more than enough. What they are looking for is a 10ABC
Rating. It should be stamped on the underwriters label on the bottle. Most 10 lbs will be 10 lb ABC, but it is possible that some will be 7.5ABC Rating. The best place to look is on the underwriters label. I hope this helps."
Sounds like a 10 pounder is all you need, I would suggest 20lb. But with fire suppression, bigger really is better. So buy one and bring it. And during the off season, keep it in the kitchen. A small grease fire can get out of control quickly.
See Y'all in Pooler.