Flagtronics

FV80
Site Admin

Flagtronics

Post by FV80 »

For any of you that live in another universe and have NOT heard about this.. Flagtronics (https://Flagtronics.com) has developed a new device for our cockpits. It provides the driver with a live/realtime 'picture' of corner (THE corner you are at, or are approaching) flag status continuously throughout an event. This has been adopted by SCCA HQ and is now REQUIRED for participants at the 2024 Runoffs.. and probably beyond. It will also be 'available' at selected HST's in 2024.. beginning with the Sebring HST in January. The website will show you what it looks like and tell you (more or less) how it SHOULD work.

It IS still in the development stage, but it did seem to work (again.. more or less) at it's initial 'introductory event'.. the 2023 Runoffs at VIR. I had one in my car and it seemed to provide the desired info WHEN I COULD SEE IT. Unfortunately, it is quite the chore to get one mounted in a small formula cockpit where it will be continuously VISIBLE to the driver. It's too thick and the connectors come directly into the back of the unit.. and they are RIGID and LARGE. The company is currently working on a new version that will provide more options for formula car installation.

I was totally against it when it was first introduced but, after thinking it over for a while, decided that the cost (~$250) just MIGHT be justified if it can help prevent or shorten the plethora of FULL COURSE YELLOW laps we've come to expect in the last couple of years. It comes down to Track EV Staff... if we can get the field down to 'some relatively slow' speed almost immediately, they MIGHT just dispatch EV's right away instead of waiting for 3 laps until every one catches the pace car and 'becomes under control'.

We could only DREAM about TWO laps of FCY instead of 5 or 6.. or more....
Check it out and see what you think.

Steve, FV80
Check it out and see what you think.
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80