Caracal c frame cracking

formulav58

Caracal c frame cracking

Post by formulav58 »

Hello all, I have a caracal c that has hairline cracking on frame rails near trans mounting area, any info on if this is normal and any possible fixes?
Attachments
25903.jpeg
25902.jpeg
FV80
Site Admin

Re: Caracal c frame cracking

Post by FV80 »

Quickly said.. CRACKS IN THE FRAME ARE **NOT** NORMAL :P .

Your picture is too 'tight' to show really WHERE The crack is located, but it's safe to say it definitely needs to be fixed .. and soon. Right now you have a repairable issue, but it could quickly develop into something MUCH more serious .. possibly leaving you sitting in the middle of a track somewhere waiting to get CLOBBERED :cry:

You should remove the engine and trans and take it to a welding shop for a proper repair. Shouldn't be too difficult. With a bit of 'zoom out' on the crack someone might be able to give you a better suggestion of just HOW it might be repaired. If you take it to the right place (someone familiar with race cars, preferably), it might be possible to repair it with the engine and trans still there, but can't tell for sure without a wider view. The repair itself is probably pretty easy.. except for the other stuff that might be in the way.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
BLS

Post by BLS »

I'm not familiar with that part, or if the Caracal has an issue, but it looks easy to repair from what I can see.

If my interpretation of that picture is correct, I would probably drill a small hole at the end of the crack as a stop, then tig weld the crack to the hole and fill the hole as well.

That only fixes the crack and doesn't address the underlying problem.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
Dietmar
Site Admin

Post by Dietmar »

Can not comment on whether this is "normal", but as with most cracks, I would drill a small hole above the end of the crack. Chances are that that would end the progression.
I would then weld some flat stock (1/8 or 3/16) to cover the crack.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Dietmar
Quixote Racing
BLS

Post by BLS »

Hmm,

Steve at 6:09
Barry at 6:09
Dietmar at 6:11

Some fine choreography there...
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
formulav58

Post by formulav58 »

Thanks for the replies, i worded it wrong i knew it was not normal ,but was wondering if anybody else has run across this issue, the cracking is at frame rail on both sides. the cracking is at where a lynx b frame would stop, and the uprights would be for rear suspension if that helps, i have been thinking about adding bracing from trans mounts in front to rear section of frame to triangulate the rear frame section, any thoughts on maybe adding mounts across frame to center of trans using lower center bolts on tans case to mount to a cross brace?
BLS

Post by BLS »

I'm not familiar with the Caracal design. I think you should ask Fred Clark about this. He would certainly know.

http://www.caracalcars.com/index.htm
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation