Attaching speed sensor pickup

jphoenix

Attaching speed sensor pickup

Post by jphoenix »

Where and how is the best method for attaching an AIM speed sensor and magnet. I saw one vee that has the pickup attached to the right front brake backing plate, and I believe I remember the magnet attached to the outer rim of the drum, but I do not recall how the magnet was attached. If gluing the magnet to the drum works, what type of epoxy will withstand drum heat?

Guidance and photos or alternative locations welcomed and much appreciated.

Jim
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
brian

Re: Attaching speed sensor pickup

Post by brian »

There are magnets mounted in a threaded sleve. 10/24 I think. Drill and tap the drum and align the sensor in the backing plate. I use a spot inside the shoes and mount the magnet on a web brace of the drum.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
cendiv37

Post by cendiv37 »

Jim,

There are a few old threads about this topic on this forum. You can search under "magnet sensor" and find some useful ones.

Bruce
Bruce
cendiv37
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Thanks guys, I searched and found some threads as suggested. Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach a tach sensor to the crank pulley, my AIM Mychron xg does not like the coil input.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
DFC17

Post by DFC17 »

Jim,

Make sure you are using the wire marked 150-400v (I think it is the white wire) to hook up to the secondary side of the coil. Don't use the the one marked 12v (I believe it is the blue wire) Also sometimes I have to use the AIM RPM filter to get a clean square wave so the RPM data is accurate.

You should not need the crank sensor.
Scott
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

I ordered the aim rpm filter, not cheap. Hopefully it will do the job. I'm also using a shielded wire from the coil to the aim tach input, but it's not helping much.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44
DFC17

Post by DFC17 »

What is the problem you are having? If it is dirty data then the RPM filter should fix it.

For whatever reason I have had to use the filter on all but one of my FV's
Scott
jphoenix

Post by jphoenix »

Yes, noisy signal, rpm fluctuation due to noise.
Jim Phoenix
2016 Red Mercury FV 44