Hoosier Spec Tire for FV

hardingfv32

Hoosier Spec Tire for FV

Post by hardingfv32 »

Hoosier Tires would be happy to supply a Spec tire for FV. They request that the the tire be specified or developed through the SCCA Spec tire procedure just used by FF.

The simplest solution would be a more durable compound for the existing FV tire construction. The compound used on the SM Spec tire has been suggested. It is call SM7. I believe it is also used on the FF 1600 radial tire. The SM guys are very happy with the SM7's compound. See the comment below form a Runoffs champion. Over the last decade the OEM tire market has made improvements in compounding in the quest for better fuel economy. Hoosier has been able to use some of this new chemistry to make improvements in durability at minimal cost to performance. That is what this new SM7 compound is all about.

The SM7 compound on the current Hoosier FV bias slick construction should increase durability 2-3X with a minimal or small decrease in performance. To be clear there is still a loss in performance when you increase durability. This compromise is just more limited with the new compounding. Tires can be made available for evaluation in the context of the Spec tire evaluation process.

If you are interested retaining most of the performance of the current slick tire then contact the CRB with your view.

1) FV wants a Spec Tire

2) FV competitors want a tire that has the same dimensions and greater durability than the current Hoosier open competition tire. We wish to continue using slicks on the current wheels.

http://www.clubracingboard.com/

Jim Drago - SM Note that he talking about races not events etc. and that the old SM6 used an old generation of compounding.

"The class loves the tire. Stickers are no longer the fastest or best cycle.  It eliminated what we were doing as far as stickering for qualifying and race with sm6 tire.  I think you can easily get 12 good cycles from them .  "personally" I can run a doubles majors on one set of stickers and then use them on the test day at the next.  I like to race on tires with 5 sessions or less, ideal being 2-4, but have raced and done well with 8 session tires as well. It depends a little on the track. 
In short, going from sm6 to sm7 has basically cut all of our tire budgets from 30-50%.  You will love the tire. It is also faster for us than the old tire."
DFC17

Re: Hoosier Spec Tire for FV

Post by DFC17 »

hardingfv32 wrote:
"The class loves the tire. Stickers are no longer the fastest or best cycle.  It eliminated what we were doing as far as stickering for qualifying and race with sm6 tire.  I think you can easily get 12 good cycles from them .  "personally" I can run a doubles majors on one set of stickers and then use them on the test day at the next.  I like to race on tires with 5 sessions or less, ideal being 2-4, but have raced and done well with 8 session tires as well. It depends a little on the track. 
In short, going from sm6 to sm7 has basically cut all of our tire budgets from 30-50%.  You will love the tire. It is also faster for us than the old tire."
To me this is not really a significant improvement at the $900.00/set price level.

The current Hoosier FV tire will go 6 cycles in most cases. This is not my idea of a great spec tire.
Scott
jpetillo

Re: Hoosier Spec Tire for FV

Post by jpetillo »

DFC17 wrote: To me this is not really a significant improvement at the $900.00/set price level.

The current Hoosier FV tire will go 6 cycles in most cases. This is not my idea of a great spec tire.
That is not my idea of a great spec tire either. But, to be fair, we do need to say that the current Hoosier FV tire will go many more than 6 cycles and you can still run in the front pack, at least at regionals. The guys in the NE mostly run one set of new Hoosiers all year for a full season of racing, some run more than one set (1 guy?), many run less. If the increase in durability of the Hoosiers that Brian mentions is really 2-3 times, then that's one set of tires every 2-3 years for the guys in the NE. Would that put them on par with the AR's for cost effectiveness? I think the Falkens are still longer lasting, but perhaps would not behave quite like the slick.