"new" carbotech shoes

fvracer27

Re: "new" carbotech shoes

Post by fvracer27 »

Matt the RD4 does not have a growing problem at least in my view. They grew less than the Carbotechs when new. I only had to move 1 click only in the rear which may have been my fault on the adjustment (meaning I could have had it tight to begin with)

$240 I think is very reasonable for sure if you look at it like this. If I do 6 weekends a year and get 2 years out of them that works out to $20 a weekend and that's with me doing 4 full test days at NHMS which we know is not easy on brakes.

Also I would say the R4 compound has very low stopping power and very high pedal pressure. I had to stand on the brakes as hard as I could push the pedal and the car still took way to long to slow down. All this info on the Portefields is not just my opinion I have confirmed with another local racer using them that has plenty of experience as a nation FV driver.

Matt we need you at Vee Fest!

Matt Clark wrote:OK. $240 isn't horrific, but still pricey for what we have. While we are talking shoes again, what all are our options (besides discs) anymore? So far, I have seen the following options mentioned this summer here & in these threads.....

interchange/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5088

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53797

Porterfield R4:
easy on drums, not the greatest stopping power

Porterfield RD4:
easy on drums, good stopping power, grows/drags with heat?

Carbotechs:
expensive, low stopping power

TCM (Chinese):
low cost, slightly lower stopping power, unknown durability

unknown NASCAR supplier (kevlar?):
unknown performance/price
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark »

Yea, I guess the math isn't too bad... considering. Still would be nicer for $25/axle!

Does anyone have any "in action" updates on the TCM or mystery supplier shoes? It's kinda sounding like the Porterfield RD4s are the best option right so far.

I'd love to do VeeFest, but budget won't allow me. I do plan on the Fall Vee Challenge, plus I have a motor getting rebuilt, and maybe some other parts expenses soon. One of these years I will, though... I loved the Louden weekend with like 26 cars the other year!
~Matt Clark
RTJ-02 #81
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Just think if you come to Vee Fest there is a lot of give always! You may get a couple hundred towards engine rebuild! Everyone last year got 2 plus you get lunch and dinner Saturday night it's really a good event :mrgreen:

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
Matt Clark

Post by Matt Clark »

lol.... if there is guaranteed tow money & a rigged raffle, I could be tempted! That, and I would need to borrow some parts to race too....
~Matt Clark
RTJ-02 #81
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Matt Clark wrote:lol.... if there is guaranteed tow money & a rigged raffle, I could be tempted! That, and I would need to borrow some parts to race too....
I have parts to lone no problem and if I don't someone does. :mrgreen:
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

FVartist42 wrote:I've tested the Porterfields too and found the R4 compound to be useless for racing, but the RD4 after being used at Road America and Fontana were good, but when used at Thunderhill, all four corners swelled and locked up. I called Porterfield about this and they had no answer to my inquires and no offer of replacement.
I have mine set to 3 clicks back and they were perfect with some hard braking. I had a slight grow only in the rear and I may have adjust 1 click off once I re did it it was perfect. I had more of a problem with the Carbotechs growing first 2 times out than the RD4.

They were extremely helpfull when I contacted them. I talked to Tim the tech guy not the order person who seemed to only be able to take orders.
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3