Fall Vee Series

gdavis

Fall Vee Series

Post by gdavis »

There has been some casual discussion on ApexSpeed and the Interchange on ways to increase Vee participation in the PA/NY/OH area. Here is a concrete proposal: A four weekend, F-Vee dedicated series comprised of seven races at the end of the year that would be short enough to be easier financially than other, extended series’ to commit to, would try to maximize the fun quotient, encourage new drivers and try to keep down participants’ costs.
Here is a brief overview. The four proposed dates for 2013 would be:

9/14 - Fun One @ the Glen
9/28 -Double Regional @ Nelson Ledges
10/5 - Watkins Glen Last Chance (Only that weekend’s school grads & those with new 2013 licenses will be eligible for points.)
10/19 - Quad @ Nelson (Awards would be handed out at a “live” ceremony after the Sat. races – Sun. race points would count towards 2014).
I have already been in touch with the organizers for the Quad and the 9/28 Nelson dates and have been told that if we can get 15 cars for the 9/28 Double we can get our own group. If we can get 18 for the Nelson Quad the person I spoke with said they would make every effort to get us our own group (but couldn’t guarantee it). Both individuals I spoke with were both very co-operative and encouraged our series’ participation at these events.
There will be a three-tiered championship: National Licensed Champion, Regional Licensed Champion and Novice Champion. This would give everyone a shot at being competitive at their own respective level.
Other advantages of this series would be: To present ourselves as an organized entity to negotiate perks with promoters, publicize Vee racing and seek possible sponsorship goodies for entrants. This is a starting point - there could also be other potential benefits down the road in having our own Vee-based, organized series.
This isn’t something that one person can accomplish. Two critical factors come into play: First, how many Vee drivers out there would commit to such a series and secondly, who will help with the organizational end. I don’t envision needing more than a total of four or five individuals to organize and promote, but they would have to be serious about their commitment.
I am asking those interested in committing to participate as entrants or volunteers to please respond to the contact information on the flyer attachment on the ApexSpeed F-Vee and F-1200 sites under the "Announcing the Vee Autumn Challenge Cup Series" subject. Also, if you think this idea has merit, network with other current or former Vee drivers who may not frequent these web sites.