VDF vs. Citation?

rayce13

VDF vs. Citation?

Post by rayce13 »

I am a relative newby and have spent the last year rebuilding a '95 Citation that has been a lot of fun. I am still learning to maximize the car and it is going well. Question is I have been looking at possibly getting a VDF as a second car/upgrade. Would I be gaining much by going from the Citation to the VDF? Any reviews generally about the VDF and what is a reasonable value for a VDF that is in pieces, has sat for 5 years, hasn't had the engine updated or run (national level but of 5+ years ago) and has no spares, etc. with it? :?:
Russ Dykstra
FV '95 Citation #13
FV '93 Citation #31
craigs

Re: VDF vs. Citation?

Post by craigs »

Have you talked to Steve Pastore at VSR? He will be able to answer every one of your questions honestly and accurately.
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

How big are you? I tried to sit in Rick Shields several years ago and couldn't come close. Good luck in your endeavor!

Mark
rayce13

Post by rayce13 »

I have been in a VDF and fit just fine so that isn't an issue. Wondering more just about general experiences/opinions between the two from people with experience.

Thanks
Russ Dykstra
FV '95 Citation #13
FV '93 Citation #31
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Russ,

I've owned a Citation (95') and really enjoyed driving it. I did get tired of f-ing around with the bellcranks
and having them crack, but that was a minor issue etc... I'd go with the VDF if you fit and can get one at
a reasonable price because there aren't many of them and you might gain an "unfair advantadge" with it.

Good luck!

Mark
Campbell Motorsport

Post by Campbell Motorsport »

Russ,

I think both cars are capable of winning at both the regional and national level in any division. Given the right driver,preparation, and luck-- both could get you to the front pack of the Runoffs. Any unfair advantage for either car would be strictly driver perception.

Mark,

My guess is the cracking you had with the steering bell cranks was with the "lightened/ I beam style" rockers. They were a very nice piece, that provided a weak link in the steering mechanism in the case of a crash. Unfortunately they were a bit fragile. Currently only we make only solid bell cranks and have not heard a lot about cracks and/or breaking except in the case of a significant crash.

Because of the Citation steering geometry, I always recommend people use a small block of wood between the turkey leg and the beam "horn" when jacking up the front end. If you do not have droop limited front shocks, and your shocks go to full extension, you are likely past the range of motion of the rod end and stressing the bell crank.

Larry Campbell
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Larry,

You're correct about the bellcranks, once I went to the solid cranks we had no further problems.
Thanks!

Mark
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

I am bias to the Citation. We have had 4 (5?) of them all purchased new. The car was fast, predictable, easy to set up, a 30 minute engine change and more. No bump steer. We always had the pocketed bell cranks, but always used a droop limiter. Never cracked one. Greg won 8 CenDiv Nationals in a row with one of them and many others with the other 2 or 3. The only car I liked better was the Lazer, but that limited your room for growth. :)

We now have an XTC converted to FST that we will be running this year. (The XTC was a Citation front end and a Lazer back end.)
I hope it is as good to us as the Citations were.
Mike Kochanski

Post by Mike Kochanski »

The Citation and Citation XTC-41 are excellent cars. Fast, easy to work on, great support from Larry Campbell and they fit a wide variety of drivers. The main difference between the guys in the front and the back. Preparation!

Just a side note: A Citation XTC-41 holds the track record at Blackhawk Farms Raceway in Rockton, Illinois. The record is 1:19.095 set on May 25th, 2003 and still stands today. This is one of Michael Varacins home tracks. I think this is a track record he would like to hold. Maybe this year???

Good luck with your purchase
Mike
Speedsport

Post by Speedsport »

Oh sure Mike, rub it in. If that damn mosquito wouldn't have been in the way ...
Rickydel

Post by Rickydel »

M.V., You're lucky it was just a mosquito!

Have you all seen the video on Youtube of the deer at Blackhawk, sliding across the track between two vees running at speed in turn 5?

I don't remember the name of the video, but I would guess a search for "FV deer" of "Formula vee deer" might do the trick.

BTW: I'm not referring to Butch Deer. It was what seemed to be a doe.
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

rayce13

Post by rayce13 »

Wow. Where was the deer coming from? Looks like it was shot out of a canon across the track or was it hit by a car in front?
Russ Dykstra
FV '95 Citation #13
FV '93 Citation #31
Dave

Post by Dave »

Holy crap, watching race monitor Salt just turned a 1:18.777 (un official) in his Citation. Looks like you will have to come back to defend your record Mike.

Dave