Midwest FV Drivers Association

jhenn4716

Midwest FV Drivers Association

Post by jhenn4716 »

We are thinking about forming a Midwest FV Driver's Association with the primary goal of using it as a vehicle for promotion, a possible future midwest based series, and maybe to be a unified "independent" (ie. not SCCA controlled) voice for the future of FV. Before we go to that bother, we'd like to know if there would be any interest. If so, would you be willing to pay a nominal (say $20-30 year) dues to be put toward promotion, year end awards, etc etc.?

If you are in favor of forming the group please reply by email to jhenn4716 at me dot com.

Thanks
Jeff
Mysterian #55
P-2 Mark

Re: Midwest FV Drivers Association

Post by P-2 Mark »

What geographical area are you considering and since I live in Ohio, is that an area considered Midwest?

Thanks!

Mark

92' Protoform P-2/05'
brian

Post by brian »

You might want to think of establishing a chapter of the Racing Driver's Club if there's not one already. The TDC is a long standing, well respected organization.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

P-2 Mark wrote:What geographical area are you considering and since I live in Ohio, is that an area considered Midwest?

Thanks!

Mark

92' Protoform P-2/05'
Yes, Ohio would be part of the midwest
Jeff
Mysterian #55
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

brian wrote:You might want to think of establishing a chapter of the Racing Driver's Club if there's not one already. The TDC is a long standing, well respected organization.
Looking online I found a racing driver's club in CA, is that what you're talking about? How does one establish a chapter?
Jeff
Mysterian #55
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

jhenn4716 wrote:
P-2 Mark wrote:What geographical area are you considering and since I live in Ohio, is that an area considered Midwest?

Thanks!

Mark

92' Protoform P-2/05'
Yes, Ohio would be part of the midwest
Western PA.....midwest or northeast?
brian

Post by brian »

I thought the RDC was a national group but I think I'm thinking about the RRDC which awards the Mark Donahue trophy at the Runoffs and I think is restricted to invite only on membership. I'll look into the local chapter and see what's going on.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

As a guideline geographically, the midwest would be made up of the Central and Great Lakes regions of the SCCA. Gives you a general idea of which states we're targeting.
Jeff
Mysterian #55
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

jhenn4716 wrote:As a guideline geographically, the midwest would be made up of the Central and Great Lakes regions of the SCCA. Gives you a general idea of which states we're targeting.
I need a hug.... :cry:
Bob Stack

Post by Bob Stack »

What is the status of this - http://www.formulaveeracing.org/Association.html ?

Is this operational? Would it make sense to focus on an overall "US FV Driver's Club" and then, similar to SCCA really, have regional "chapters" as Brian suggested. If the goal is overall growth and promotion of FV . . . .

I think a cohesive "official" group makes sense - right now we seems to be rather fragmented and there is no (that I'm aware of) official voice of FV. To succeed as a class we need a bit more organization, both on a national and regional level.

my two cents.
Fenders? We Don't NEED no stinking FENDERS!
http://WWW.GRAYBEARDRACER.COM
D-13 FV
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

I think the group is too fragmented in their ideals to have a cohesive national voice.The Ontario group is very well organized. Although not officially associated, the unified political lobbying, and special event organization, of the New England group has shown they are a powerful force. If you can organize groups of like-minded racers in geographic areas, they can work together on promotional and recruiting activities, and have a voice with race organizers. Good idea!

Mark, Isn't the internet wonderful? In the last couple weeks, you have learned that seemingly identical Protoforms vary 50 lbs in weight, that you live in the midwest, you are buff by FV standards.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

Who would have thought it??

Mark
Matt King

Post by Matt King »

I think it should be the Cendiv FV Drivers Association and we should focus on promoting FV turnout in our own division. We don't need by-laws or officers to do this. IMO, the only "driver's association" we really need is a group of FV owners on an email list trying to promote the class in our region and doing everything we can to get the guys with cars in their garages out to the track and bringing new people into the class. We have already started to make some progress on this and need to keep working toward the goal we have set of promoting a big turnout at at least one Blackhawk Farms event this year, rather than worrying about what states are included. If you guys from Ohio or other parts of the "midwest" want to commit to attending events in Cendiv, then you can be in our club!
FV80
Site Admin

Post by FV80 »

Matt King wrote:I think it should be the Cendiv FV Drivers Association and we should focus on promoting FV turnout in our own division. We don't need by-laws or officers to do this. IMO, the only "driver's association" we really need is a group of FV owners on an email list trying to promote the class in our region and doing everything we can to get the guys with cars in their garages out to the track and bringing new people into the class. We have already started to make some progress on this and need to keep working toward the goal we have set of promoting a big turnout at at least one Blackhawk Farms event this year, rather than worrying about what states are included. If you guys from Ohio or other parts of the "midwest" want to commit to attending events in Cendiv, then you can be in our club!
*THIS* IMHO is the way to go about this. Keep at it! "Local" groups can go a LONG way towards increasing overall numbers and FUN! :mrgreen:
Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
smsazzy

Post by smsazzy »

I agree wityh Steve. Contact Scott Arthur or Bob Williams in at http://www.unionracing.ca

Those two guys single handedly grew a series from a handful of cars to 10-15 consistently - sometimes as high as 20+, and an annual race that I expect to have 30+ cars participating in it in August.

They run SCCA rules, and have a very strong following for FV now.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

That would be my recommendation to growing ranks - local promotion. Contact other regions that have good fields and ask them what they do. Some or all of what they do may work in your region. I think that even strong regions should talk with each other to share ideas - can't hurt.

Maybe different regions give contact information to the Committee so they can make it available to the folks in the class or those interested in the class. Or, each region has a contact link on some page here on the Forum and on the http://www.formulavee.us/ and http://formulaveeracing.org/Association.html sites.

The Midwest FV Drivers Association idea is not meant to be Nationwide it seems. But on a Nationwide scale, I don't think we need yet another driver's association for FV. We should try to use what we have. The idea of it was promotion as well - just what we need. But, it can't survive without our support. We need to support it if we want it to benefit the class as a whole. The question is, how can we make the one we have work? Can regional Associations or Drivers Clubs be formed and plugged into the one National one - an association of Associations?
http://formulaveeracing.org/Association.html

I think FV associations connected to one another will do a lot for the class.

John
Greg Davis

Post by Greg Davis »

I think these local Vee associations(if formed) should concentrate on promoting Regional events if they want to try to build numbers and also the fun quotient. There is an informal group in the DC area that promotes Vee racing (mainly @ Summit Point) and does a great job of producing a good sized field and a fun event. They paddock all the Vee's together and have a free give-away of donated prizes. I have attended several of their events (five hour tow) and would definately go back again. Maybe the different local groups could put on a divisional regional "Run-Offs" for areas geographically close to each other at some centrally located track. I would be willing to discuss any of these possibilities if there is anyone else interested in this concept in the central NE area.
jhenn4716

Post by jhenn4716 »

Matt King wrote:I think it should be the Cendiv FV Drivers Association and we should focus on promoting FV turnout in our own division. We don't need by-laws or officers to do this. IMO, the only "driver's association" we really need is a group of FV owners on an email list trying to promote the class in our region and doing everything we can to get the guys with cars in their garages out to the track and bringing new people into the class. We have already started to make some progress on this and need to keep working toward the goal we have set of promoting a big turnout at at least one Blackhawk Farms event this year, rather than worrying about what states are included. If you guys from Ohio or other parts of the "midwest" want to commit to attending events in Cendiv, then you can be in our club!
That's exactly the idea Matt
Jeff
Mysterian #55