Spec Tire rule thrown out in ICSCC

smsazzy

Spec Tire rule thrown out in ICSCC

Post by smsazzy »

The racing body ICSCC implemented a spec tire rule years ago to help control costs. Since then, the number of Vees participating in ICSCC competition has dwindled. In response, this year ICSCC threw out the rule to encourage drivers from other sanctioning bodies to come back to race with ICSCC.

I find it ironic that in order to increase FV participation, they have removed the spec tire rule.

Just for reference, the final race of the year in Seattle had a gentlemens agreement to allow any tire, they had 5 cars turn out. 3 more than any other race in the US for them this year.

At the Canadian race with open tires, they had 20+ entries.

Interesting, no?
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
hardingfv32-1

Re: Spec Tire rule thrown out in ICSCC

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

It makes perfect sense if you have made the judgement that there are competitors on GY or Hoosier that are not going to invest in a spec tire. In this case it is just as valid a consideration as the cost savings from a spec tire.

I know as much as I love the SFR tracks and dates, I will not invest in their spec tires to race at their events. Can't afford two tire programs at this time.

Brian
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

It means you selected a crappy spec tire!
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

I gotta agree with Greg here.. I would be ok with a spec tire that lasted a long time or performed decently.. Or one that didn't leak 1psi/hr..
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Spec tires are a proven method of cutting costs in every form of racing on the planet. The technology has been available for decades.
In Ontario F1200, we have great racing, 15+ car fields, 7-car lead packs ..... on tires that look like they will last 3-4 yrs on winning cars. The new Pro F1600 Series has an incredible spec tire that lasts through a double race event with days of good track life remaining. Hoosier actually has two good spec tires for FF at different price and performance levels. The technology is out there and either Hoosier or Goodyear could supply such a tire. All it would take is a mandate and a exclusive contract.
If an area has done a poor job of selecting and managing a spec tire program, it will fail. That does not mean that spec tires are bad or wrong. It just means that guys with sweethart tire deals can keep badmouthing the spec tire concept and keep their advantage while the rank and file racers sponsor them with their tire purchases.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

While a spec tire is a method of reducing costs, this benefit does compete with other criteria when discussing competitor participation. In this case you have a number of possible entrants that are committed the SCCA National racing and are not willing to purchase spec tires for a occasional Regional type event. We are talking very small car counts.

Brian
Mystique Racing

Post by Mystique Racing »

I think Greg has it just about right. We have had a spec tire program in the SFR region for 20+ years for our regional races. The current tire, American Racer, works excellent and is good right down to the cord. In fact I turned my fastest lap time ever with the cord just starting to show in the front. I have no idea why the National program won't go with this tire. Yeah it is a couple of seconds slower, big deal. :shock:

Hard to beat 20+ heat cycles and good consistency throughout the tire life. I certainly would run some national races if they were to implement the use of this tire. And I know the national guys like Brian H and others would run some of our regionals for the same reason. Its a win win for everyone, well, except for the other tire manufactures I guess. Just one more, of many, reasons I am switching from FV to FST

OK, I will stop using logic now. That seldom works with SCCA.
Scott

Diamond Formula Cars

http://www.diamondformulacars.com
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

No doubt the spec tire is cheaper..... but in this specific case

'this benefit does compete with other criteria when discussing competitor participation. In this case you have a number of possible entrants that are committed the SCCA National racing and are not willing to purchase spec tires for a occasional Regional type event. We are talking very small car counts.'

Brian
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

All good points. Regions like SFR & Ontario chose to go with a spec tire because it increased the entrant count. That didn't work for the ICSCC region, and I would guess for the reasons Brian & Scott mentioned. This is the reason that SCCA looks like it can't come up with a logical solution. There is not one logic that applies for every region. What a region wants depends on the consensus of individuals there, and if a solution is imposed on them and they don't like it, the counts will suffer. John
problemchild

Post by problemchild »

Local consensus is why spec tire rules fail. All SCCA has to do is split spec tire contracts amongst different classes. One tire for each class. No choices to make. If you don't like it, switch classes, or quit. The savings and growth would more than make up for the few with their heads up their butts. No tire sponsorships for anybody but anybody.
Greg Rice
"Happy 50th Birthday"