Hans device in a Caracal C

CSatterley

Hans device in a Caracal C

Post by CSatterley »

Who out there is using the Hans 30 in a Caracal C? How is it working or you? Any fitting issues?
SR Racing

Re: Hans device in a Caracal C

Post by SR Racing »

A Caracal is more of a "lay down" car and can be a problem if you have a large chest. It woul dbe best if you can try one on in the car before purchasing.
Do it soon while the HANS sale is on. :D

I don't want to lose a sale, but IF you need to go to a 40 deg unit.. http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48024
A decent price for a Pro Version.
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

Everyone should really take the time to do this now and not a week before your first race in 2012 it takes time to get it right. A Vee is most likely the toughest car to get fitted for a Hans it took me almost this entire season and 2 models to get it correct. Following the proper set up on the Hans site is key if you want the device to work correctly so for sure you will need someone to help fit you don't make a mistake and try to do it on feel alone because chances are you will be wrong. Hans is great to deal with they will work with any authorized dealer you purchase from to get you the correct divice, I purchased a 30l for my car because I was hoping to get away cheap but I could not make it work at all. They exchanged it for me for a 40 without any problems at all (very good customer service). I would only use other racers feedback a guide for fitment because everyones car, seat and body are different. If you still have events left you are racing try on as many different sizes as you can and sit in your car (I know every Vee driver would have no problem with someone trying on there divice for fitment.

Last purchase from a Vee supplier so we can support these guys 99% of the time they have the best prices anyways.

Mark
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

fvracer27 wrote:Everyone should really take the time to do this now and not a week before your first race in 2012 it takes time to get it right.
Another reason: From Sept 15 - Dec 15 Hans has a $50 off sale.

From HANS:
"I am pleased to inform you that, starting September 15 and continuing through December 15, we will be putting all our Sport I HANS Devices ON SALE. During that period, the retail price of Medium and Large sizes will be reduced by $50 from $645 to $595 (or $585 if ordered for SAH helmets). The child size 20 Super Small, normally priced at $545, will be reduced to $495. The sale price will apply only to our original Sport model and the new Sport II series will remain at $695.

As previously noted, HANS Performance Products will be offering a contingency award to the top 10 finishers in every class at the 2011 SCCA National Runoffs at Road America. The award, paid directly from HPP, will be in the form of a $50 rebate on the purchase price of a new HANS Device from an authorized dealer. In addition, we have extended the award to cover device purchases made starting August 1, 2011 in anticipation of the Runoffs."
FV90

Post by FV90 »

I have tried on a HAN's in my C - I think I'll try something else. The collar was getting hung up on the belts and while I'm sure If I was trying to get out in an emergency I just do not get a warm fuzzy. I'll be trying Safety Solutions Pro Rage next.
brian

Post by brian »

i really agree with mark. after a new cross member, firewall, belts and cutting off the bottom of my helmet, it's still a pain in the axx and it's almost impossible to get in without help.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I hope one of our suppliers start to carry Safety Solutions products also... hint hint... A lot of the other Formula class guys are running the Safety Solutions Hybrid Pro Rage. I had a Hans and sold it, it didn't work for me in my Womer or my Lynx. The Hans also offers ZERO side protection. A side hit in a Vee is very different from the Hans extensive side testing in a F1 car with a pod.

Plus in my case a Vee style Hans is usless in my other tin top car which has an upright seating position.

[ external image ]

The Pro Rage is the latest addition to the Rage line. Ultra small so you don't have to modify your seat, the Pro Rage has been extremely popular! Staying true to multiple impacts and superior protection in angular and side impacts, the Pro Rage has it all. From the patent pending SSG (Side Stabilizing Gusset) to the patented Seatbelt Anchor System, we give you great coverage at an unbeatable price.
■A combination of composite and carbon fiber
■SFI 38.1 Certified
■Same advantages as light weight series
■All around protection
Comfortable by design
Easy to Exit
fvracer27

Post by fvracer27 »

If your belts are installed correctly for a Hans you will not even know it's on, it will not hang up on the belts and getting in and out of the car is not a big deal for me and I'm 250lbs jammed in a tiny Vee. I believe the Hans is the way to go, I know it cost more than most others but you buy it once and it may just save your life, Mines worth a couple hundred buck is your? http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.5/category.67/.f

Look at the size chart and get the smallest device you can get that your neck fits in and it will be easier to get in and out. I have a almost a 17.5" neck and I have a 40 med and it fits perfect. 17.5 is at the top of the med range but it fits perfect. http://hansdevice.com/HANS-Sizing-Chart ... ategory=30

another useful page

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/sc.5/.f
Mark Filip
NER #27
Womer EV-3
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

Veefan wrote:I hope one of our suppliers start to carry Safety Solutions products also... hint hint...
I don't carry them in stock, but I can get you one in a day from my warehouse. They ship to me every evening, so if you order before about 4PM I have it by 11 AM.
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

And if you look at the Safety Solutions page these are the numbers they have.

I'll be placing an order Jim.

[ external image ][ external image ][ external image ]
CSatterley

Post by CSatterley »

Thanks for the input guys. I will have to see what I can try before buying.
I need a helmet for next year as well. Are the SAH rated helmets for most Head and Necks systemts or just the HANS Device?
caracal76

Post by caracal76 »

I've been using one in my C-car most of this year. It does fine as long as you relocate the shoulder belt mounts (per HANS instructions). No slippage.
Anthony (actually the Caracal 17-red)

"When you're racing it's...it's life. Anything that happens before or after - it's just waiting."
-Steve McQueen, "LeMans"

"Screw second!"
-Burt Reynolds, "Stroker Ace"