carb fuel line fitting

tiagosantos

carb fuel line fitting

Post by tiagosantos »

Need to buy a fitting for the carb fuel line and forgot to bring the old one in.. Does anyone know the size and thread of the fitting that screws into the carb? I'm sure it's some fairly generic AN type thing, but I don't really know my imperial measurements..

Thanks in advance!
FV80
Site Admin

Re: carb fuel line fitting

Post by FV80 »

Tiago,
Don't count on it being ANYTHING "generic". I don't know the thread size or anything else about it except that it would appear to be pretty UNIQUE in the world of 'fluid fittings'. I know that some have refitted it for AN, but I presume they rethreaded it - although I could be wrong. That's a good subject though .... if anyone out there KNOWS of a 'standard (more or less) fitting that will do the job without buggering everything up, I'm sure that LOTS of us would love to know about it.

Steve, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Hmm.. Interesting! One of my old carbs had an "AN" type fitting with the fancy braided hose. Really the only reason I call it AN is the fitting being aluminum and blue hehe. It could be NPT or PFN or TPL, I really have no idea. :D

When I got a different carb that came with a stock type slip on fitting, I just unscrewed the "AN" fitting from that old carb and it replaced the stock type perfectly on the new carb.. Now I have yet another carb to try out and the fitting went on without trouble.. I'm just looking for a different one so I can have the two carbs I want to try ready to bolt in.

I bought a bag of misc fittings from Ed Schubert and it had about 6 male to male fittings where one side seems to be a 10x1mm metric and the other is the type that fits into our carbs.. It also looks like the same size as I had on my mechanical oil pressure gauge plumbing, so it seemed fairly generic, I just don't have a male to male one handy!

I guess I can easily to back to a stock rubber fuel line, but the threaded connections seems easier to handle than slip on fittings.
brp

Post by brp »

The thread size for the stock screw in steel tube with the aluminum ferrule is 12x1.5 mm (same as the lug bolts on the 1200 sedan). If your threads inthe carb top are messed up, the 12x1.5 helicoil works great to fix it.

You should be able to get the pieces for Bob at LRE
Hope this helps.

Mike B.
BLS

Post by BLS »

Since I have a couple 28PCI's sitting on the workbench, I checked, and 12x1.5 mm is correct, same as a lug bolt.
Barry
Old Zink FV,
'87 Citation
tiagosantos

Post by tiagosantos »

Hehe thanks Mike. I guess in a pinch, I can drill a hole in a lug nut and stick it in there! :)

I went and double checked my fittings to make sure I wasn't talking rubbish, and of course, I was. The AN fitting I have in there is close, but not quite right. It fooled me, but it's probably what buggered up the threads on my old carb top. I guess a rubber line will do, then!
racing stuff

Post by racing stuff »

Earls plumbing part number 991944, 12 X1.5mm to -6AN. Common use is Weber Carburetors.
Keith
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
248-585-9139
http://www.racing-stuff.com