Racing shops in the San Jose, CA area

jstoezel

Racing shops in the San Jose, CA area

Post by jstoezel »

Hi,

I will be in the San Jose, CA area next month. Are they any race shops you recommend there? I didn't find much with google.

Jean
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
smsazzy

Re: Racing shops in the San Jose, CA area

Post by smsazzy »

Ron Chuck is in Redwood City, CA. Brian McCarthy (BRM) is in Sacramento.
Stephen Saslow
FV 09 NWR
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Thanks for the information, this is great. Do they carry non FV specific items too? I'm looking for racing gear stuff and a few other items from Tilton and/or Wildwood. I want to use the opportunity to be in the US to get parts directly, without having to pay for shipping.

smsazzy wrote:Ron Chuck is in Redwood City, CA. Brian McCarthy (BRM) is in Sacramento.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
brian

Post by brian »

Very few shops stock a lot of parts. Summit in Reno is probably the largest in the west. While there is shipping, buying stuff in Cal will cost you 8.75% in sales tax
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

I believe this can be refunded at the border - will have to pay Canadian taxes though.

EDIT: doesn't look like any refund is available for Canadians from the state of California

brian wrote:Very few shops stock a lot of parts. Summit in Reno is probably the largest in the west. While there is shipping, buying stuff in Cal will cost you 8.75% in sales tax
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
hardingfv32-1

Post by hardingfv32-1 »

You have to be kidding. Why are you not using SR Racing or some online source? It would be cheaper even if you lived in the San Francisco area when you considered transportation expenses and time.

Brian
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

jstoezel wrote: Do they carry non FV specific items too? I'm looking for racing gear stuff and a few other items from Tilton and/or Wildwood. I want to use the opportunity to be in the US to get parts directly, without having to pay for shipping.
We carry most all the safety gear, WIlwood, Girling and Vee specific parts. Shipping to anywhere in the US is the least of your cost worries. 10 lbs of stuff would cost less than a few gallons of gas for the car.. 8) (and there are no sales taxes)
brian

Post by brian »

"(and there are no sales taxes)," charged by vendor but in Cali there is a requirement, hardly ever followed, that the buyer must report and pay the use tax.
The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views or opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR.
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Well, it seems you guys are having trouble shipping your products to my location... (wanted to display a smiley but they don't seem to work anymore).

Jean

SR Racing wrote:
jstoezel wrote: Do they carry non FV specific items too? I'm looking for racing gear stuff and a few other items from Tilton and/or Wildwood. I want to use the opportunity to be in the US to get parts directly, without having to pay for shipping.
We carry most all the safety gear, WIlwood, Girling and Vee specific parts. Shipping to anywhere in the US is the least of your cost worries. 10 lbs of stuff would cost less than a few gallons of gas for the car.. 8) (and there are no sales taxes)
Last edited by jstoezel on March 16th, 2011, 4:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Brian:

Thank you for your message. Buying racing gear online without trying it is not always considered the best practice. Done it before and will rather try fit before buying from now on.

Jean

hardingfv32-1 wrote:You have to be kidding. Why are you not using SR Racing or some online source? It would be cheaper even if you lived in the San Francisco area when you considered transportation expenses and time.

Brian
Last edited by jstoezel on March 16th, 2011, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

jstoezel wrote:Well, it seems you guys are having trouble shipping your products to my location... (wanted to display a smiley but they don't seem to work anymore).
:?: In what way? We have sent you 3 orders in the past at USPS priority (inexpensive) and you received them all. What is the trouble that you refer to ?

Jim
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Jim:

Yes I'm very happy with these 3 orders, no question about it. I still have to hear from you about that bodywork you were trying to ship though. The last email I sent asking for a status update was on March 4th (have yet to receive a reply).

It's all good Jim, smileys need to be fixed on this forum though.

Jean

SR Racing wrote:
jstoezel wrote:Well, it seems you guys are having trouble shipping your products to my location... (wanted to display a smiley but they don't seem to work anymore).
:?: In what way? We have sent you 3 orders in the past at USPS priority (inexpensive) and you received them all. What is the trouble that you refer to ?

Jim
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0
sweenrace

Post by sweenrace »

jean,

if you want to try gear on when in Cali you could try Wine Country Motorsports are Sears point in Napa. Its expensive but at least you can check it out in person.

Ian
jstoezel

Post by jstoezel »

Hi Ian:

Thanks for the advice. It will be a bit of a trip from San Jose. I'm not sure I will have the time since I'm going there for work to attend a week-long conference. Would be a good trip to see some countryside and enjoy good wine so that may just be enough to motivate me.

I checked their website and it looks like they have all the good stuff. Price-wise, they seem to be 10% higher than where I last got my stuff. Canadian dollar is stronger these days so it will be worth the trip.

Jean

sweenrace wrote:jean,

if you want to try gear on when in Cali you could try Wine Country Motorsports are Sears point in Napa. Its expensive but at least you can check it out in person.

Ian
Jean-Sebastien Stoezel
WCMA FV #0