R.I.P. Bill Noble

Lynn

R.I.P. Bill Noble

Post by Lynn »

Bill Noble passed away in his sleep last night. I watched Bill several times in the "70's but never met him. I have met Lisa several times in the past few years. My condolences to Lisa and the rest of Bill's family and friends.
69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
FV80
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P. Bill Noble

Post by FV80 »

No one will ever replace Bill. He ranks at the TOP of FV History.
What more can we say than Bon Voyage Bill. He lived his life appropriately - as it should be - one to be proud of.
Lisa, most profound sympathies - we will always remember. We'll see you at the track when you are ready.
Stevan Davis, FV80
The Racer's Wedge and now a Vortech, FV80
Matt

Post by Matt »

I have had the great pleasure to compete with Bill many times in the recent past. He was a person that could be trusted both on and off the track.

Lisa

My sincere condolences on you loss. It was very obvious of the mutual feelings that you both felt for each other.

Bill
You have crossed the finish line in style.

Matt Guzowski
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

69 Beach Solo Vee, #65 FM

85 Lynx B Solo Vee

71 Zink C4 Solo Vee
Terry Abbott

Post by Terry Abbott »

The FV community has lost a legend ……..God speed Bill Noble

Thoughts and prayers to Lisa and family

The Abbott's
Terry Abbott
2- Vector FV's
rphillips

Post by rphillips »

Bill was really a great guy and there are some great stories about him that if written down would make a great book. I have been around FV racing for 16 years now and I'm still hearing new stories about Bill. For a lot of us he was one of the main reasons why we were able to get involved with FV racing and he was a tremendous inspiration. He will be missed and may he rest in peace.

My sincere condolences to Lisa, Jaime, and the rest of Bill's family.

Ray Phillips
Al Craighead

Post by Al Craighead »

Bill Noble, one of the most prolific drivers in the history of the Sports Car Club of America, succumbed to a multiple-year battle with blood cancer on Tuesday (January 18). He was 69 years old.

A renowned Formula Vee engine builder and five-time FV National Champion, Noble was a bear of a man who had a gentle touch with both a torque wrench and a steering wheel. He came from humble origins and built a livelihood from his passion. He was instrumental in maintaining FV as one of the most popular SCCA classes. His “Engines by Noble” won countless races and an incredible 25 SCCA National Championship Runoffs gold medals.

Despite competing in an extremely hard-fought class, only a handful of drivers have won more than Noble’s five national championships. He was on the podium 13 times. He won the Valvoline ProVee Championship in 1994, and has received the Road Racing Drivers Club’s Mark Donohue award and the Jerry Knapp Award from his fellow competitors at the Runoffs. In the Kansas Region there is an award named for him honoring his mechanical expertise and sportsmanship. For nearly four decades he was the mark by which you measured yourself in Formula Vee.

Noble was also an avid hunter and a first-rate marksman. He was twice runner-up for the USA Olympic Trap Shooting Team in his youth and remained very competitive in various shooting competitions throughout his life, winning a world championship title in live fliers. He was avid outdoorsman and naturalist who loved to camp and fish with his family in the wild parts of North America.

At every race he ran, but especially at the Runoffs, Noble freely dispatched information and advice about everything from motors to alignment to driving technique. To quell the notion that he might be harboring the best for himself, he had a standard offer - anytime a customer wanted to trade his motor for Noble’s, he would not only pull it out, he would help you put it in your car. It was not an idle boast, as it happened on more than one occasion.

Throughout his racing career Noble always kept his family in the forefront. In the beginning he and his step dad Harvey would go to the races together. Later, his wife Lisa Noble became his world class crew chief, and went on to join him at the sharp end of the Vee grid as a first rank driver. Lisa Noble is now on the SCCA Board of Directors.

Bill Noble is also survived by his daughter, Dr. Jaime Gassmann, her husband, John, and a grandson, James, almost 2 years old.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Red Cross Midway-Kansas Chapter 1900 East Douglas Wichita, Kansas, 67214 in recognition of the many volunteers who donated blood and drove the dozens of trips from Wichita to Manhattan to deliver the special blood products Bill Noble needed.

Services will be held at the Milford, Kansas Cemetery on Saturday, January 22nd at 1 p.m.
P-2 Mark

Post by P-2 Mark »

I only had the opportunity to speak with Bill on several occassions, but he was always helpful
towards me. One year at M-O during the last regional prior to the Runoff's being held there,
I asked Bill for help concerning my non-Noble engine. He jumped right in and made several
adjustments ( w/o the feeler gauge!) etc, and didn't let the fact that I wasn't a customer slow
him down.....tells you alot about a person who had nothing personal to gain by helping but
loved Vee's and the racing community so much it didn't matter.

My condolensces to Lisa and the entire family!

Mark Farnham
FV94

Post by FV94 »

Bill Noble, to me and my son, was Formula Vee. I first met Bill years ago at the RunOffs at Road Atlanta when he took the time to show me his Caracal "Razor" car just hours before he won his first FV National Championship. That was Bill - he always had time to talk with you. Years later, when my son had started racing FV, we would see Bill at the Florida nationals. Bill again took the time to give this new racer help and advice. Bill and Lisa were among the first to provide sponsorship money for our regional MARRS FV Rewards program that helped increase our FV entries. Thank you, Bill - for your help, advice, and friendship. Rest in peace.
Bob and Glenn Tupper
Bob Tupper
KelleyHux

Post by KelleyHux »

For those of you on Facebook, Lisa and Jaime have created the Bill Noble Memorial fan page. It is a wonderful recollection of Bill's life through pictures and his story. You can find it by using the search function.

Lisa, Jaime and the rest of the Noble family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Kelley Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
DMVR
grimes34

Post by grimes34 »

Bill was a very clever man, I know this, cause he got Lisa to marry him !
and he was pretty good at the Formula Vee stuff also!
eugene Team2Stool deviant
noblerace

Post by noblerace »

Dear Friends,

Jaime and I want to thank you for your outpouring of support over the last weeks. Your care and concern for us and your remembrances of Bill have sustained us. Bill had over a hundred racers attend his service and I know many more of you were there with us in spirit. I believe we honored Bill in the best racer family tradition. His service was reflective of his life and contribution to SCCA and friends.

If you have stories or photos to share, please post them to the Bill Noble Memorial facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bill-Nobl ... 6732399089

As for the future, Chief Mechanic Chris Cox and I will continue to build Noble FV engines and Noble Racing will continue as it has for the last few years under our management and direction - full speed ahead.

Chris, Jaime and I are looking forward to seeing you at the track where we can thank you in person.

With Sincerity and Love,
Lisa and Jaime
Rolling Stone

Post by Rolling Stone »

Our hearts out to the NOBLE family,a Famous name to all of us....from a Canadian F1200 driver..God Bless.