WHEEL BALANCER

bobc

WHEEL BALANCER

Post by bobc »

I got tired of trying to find someone local who could balance my wheels as nobody had the vw adaptor. For the cost of a 6 pack I took two bad rear drums to my machinest friend and he drilled a 2 1/2" hole in the center of them and then cut off the drum part. Fits the rim exactly and is cheaper than the ones advertised on ebay.
Hal

Re: WHEEL BALANCER

Post by Hal »

Yeah, I had the drum part cut off of an old one and use it to hold VW wheels for mounting and dismounting on my little cheap "imported" tire changer. Then made a balancer out of a cracked spindle, lightly oiled and tightened bearings, and balanced drum to use to balance wheels, had a rod welded on and mount it into my motor stand on a bench. Works great.

Hal
FV 88
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

I use a front drum as is, and my local shops have no problems balancing 5 wide rims. You should just make sure the drum with wheel lugs is in balance first.
Dave

Post by Dave »

You mean you don't check and balance the your drums before you put them on the car?
Veefan

Post by Veefan »

Dave, by the time a front drum needs to be replaced and can be used as a spare to balance a tire... it's not in the same condition or balance as it was when it went on the car.