Shift Light

Mad Dog Racing

Shift Light

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

One of my cars came with a shift light on the dash. Recently, it has stopped working. Don't see a name, no manual. It's a light blue tube with an orange (yellow?) light. Questions, one, where did it come from, and two, how to test it. Don't know if it's a bad bulb, bad connection, or if it has some kind of internals to fail. First time I've had a shift light, got by for twenty years just fine, but I have found that I shift early by ear, so I'd like to fix it. Can anybody lead me to some info? Thanks.

Mike
Matt King

Re: Shift Light

Post by Matt King »

Hard to say for sure without a photo, but if it's an aluminum tube about 1 inch OD and 3-4 inches long with the light at one end, it could be from SR Racing. Paging Jim???
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

Looking closer, it looks like it might be attached to the tach, it's an Auto Meter. The shift light is on the opposite side of the cockpit, but there are three wires, red, green & black that go back toward the tach. No marks on the tube, just a rubber cap on the back and silicone seal underneath. One led light on the front. Tube is about 5/8" diameter and three inches long. Have not figured out how to check the led light to see if it works. I'll try calling Auto Meter to see if I can get any info.

The oil pressure and temp are Auto Meter electric, so they probably came as a package, that is from the same source. First time I've ever used an electric pressure gage, hate 'em.

Mike
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

That is one of ours, not AutoMeter. The Lamp is an LED that is only driven to about 60%. So it is highly unlikely that the lamp is the problem. I suspect it is just adjusted for the wrong RPM. We have sold over 600 of them in the last few years for use on everything from Vees to Vipers and have only had one failure. You can call us and or just send it back and I will test it and reset to the correct RPM range.

Jim
SR Racing
859-252-2496

Send it to :
SR Racing Inc
100 Mercer Ct.
Suite 120
Lexington, KY 40511

(Be sure to include your contact info)
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

Thanks, Jim, I'll send it right off as soon as I find out where to disconnect the wiring in the big ole ball behind the dash. I've been trying to fix this mismash of wiring for about four years now. It was working fine, think it was set to about 6000, but all of a sudden it quit lighting up. If I had a wiring diagram, I could check for a bad connection before I pull it out and send it off. Right now the three wires are about five feet long and just rolled up into a ball and the ends disappear into a wiring loom so I can't tell where they are supposed to go. I just changed to electronic ignition from points, so maybe that did something.

Mike
jpetillo

Post by jpetillo »

The type of signal that the light receives does affect how it performs. Mine changed behavior dramatically when I switched from driving it off the points to driving it off the data acquisition system. John