Head and neck restraints req'd 1/2012

JimR

Re: Head and neck restraints req'd 1/2012

Post by JimR »

Brian
I used a model 30 in my P2, but I also used a seat.
I think a way to determine the angle needed is to sit in the car and take a smartcamber guage and lay it on your upper chest and capture the reading. That will tell you the approximate angle that your torso is at. I think mine was at 27 degrees or thereabouts, making a 30 degree Hans the right choice. I did however hate getting out of my P2 with the Hans device and I would recommend the quick disconnect straps.
Hope this helps
Jim Regan
SR Racing

Post by SR Racing »

In a Vee (or most formula cars) a 30 deg unit is almost always the right choice. While a 20 deg unit will work on some (Adams, BRD, etc) a 30 will work on all. IF you have a 30 deg unit with a car that supports a 20 deg unit, you simply put some padding under the front wings. If you have a 20 deg unit and go to a car the needs a 30 deg one, you are out of luck. So go high. <g>
We carry both the 30 and 20 deg units, but mostly sell the 20's to the fendered guys and recommend most all formula guys to go to the 30 so that they can change car designs later without having to buy another hans.

This is supported by HANS.
Mad Dog Racing

Post by Mad Dog Racing »

Thanks for the tip on the hans angle, Jim. I have the 30 degree and have been tempted to try a double regional in something with fenders. This gives me a little more room to work something in by refitting the front wings.

It's been 25 years now and I still have never raced anything that I couldn't see the front wheels on. Didn't want the hassle of not fitting the hans in an upright position. Now the drawback is that all the guys with fenders in big classes seem to think they are in NASCAR and want to rub paint, not my choice on a rent car. Open wheel guys really have to look out for each other, I don't see that as much watching the door-slammers. But likely I'm just showing my bias.